Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Bladder Training

(19 Posts)
confuseddotcodotuk Mon 30-May-11 14:18:50

Has anybody successfully done this? After being frustrated with having to stop on a drive again I decided to just start doing it. I'm drinking an actual amount of water (instead of drinking as little as possible which is what I usually do) and have been reading up on it. Haven't got a measuring jug just yet but knowing how much I pee usually by holding it in I'm already doing better.

But it's so hard! I'm trying to keep myself distracted but I'm so friking uncomfortable. So far I've been logging it since 12 today, had two glasses of water, a huge mug of tea and have peed 4 times (though normal pees, not dribbles which is normal for me!), currently trying to hold in number 5.

Does it get easier?!

controlpantsandgladrags Mon 30-May-11 15:00:15

Not tried it but watching with interest because I really need to! My bladder has ruled my life for years.

Do let me know how you get on.

tak1ngchances Mon 30-May-11 15:05:40

Watching thread...I have had chronic bacterial cystitis for months and detrusor instability.
So far I have cut alcohol, caffeine and fruit juice out of my diet and am drinking lots of bottled water.
Everything I read tells me to try bladder training but I didn't even know where to start...so any tips would be really helpful. I do try to hold on but it's got to the point where I don't even know what's "normal" any more.

MoreBeta Mon 30-May-11 15:22:53

confused - I strongly advise you go and read this long thread on interstitial cystitis.

You may not have it but it is worth considering. If you do have it then it is not something you can control with will power or bladder training. A surprisingly large number of people suffer in silence with it for years.

I hope you find a solution.

confuseddotcodotuk Mon 30-May-11 15:28:27

I posted on here a short while ago about it and for advice which was mainly to go to the docs, but my doctors have been beyond useless and patronising if anything and really put me off asking for more help, so I've decided to take it into my own hands as it's affecting my job prospects sad

I'm normally okay if I control my fluid intake (meaning I drink not even half of what I should on a good day!) and go once an hour-ish (dribbles) which is the point I feel full. When driving I stop every 20mins ish because I can't tell if I am full or not, so want to get used to the feeling of being full and putting longer between loo breaks.

control: I'm the same, my bladder rules me, I plan things around it and avoid doing things that mean I'll be out of control. I'm determined to beat it now, it's gone on too long. I haven't been able to get on a bus for at least two years now which has meant getting stuck in London on numerous occasions when the trains have been replaced with busses because I started having panic attacks sad

But hypnosis really helped with the panic attacks, I only had four sessions but there was a noticeable difference between the first and the last. I haven't had even the stirrings of an attack since my last one in April as I can now hold it off and am more aware of what's happening to my bladder. I really recommend it if only to help you balance your feelings iyswim? Makes it easier to calm yourself down and be rational and plan things quickly.

tak1ng: I never really acknowledged until today that caffeine had a detrimental affect. I may need to cut down on my tea blush

The sites I found stated to keep a log for a few days of the times you go and how much fluid is expended (250-350ml being a normal amount I think?) and then after that try to hold on for a bit more than your usual time between. I'm going down the 'jump into the deep end' route as the slow processes never work for me. Drinking more fluids more regularily, and holding as long as I can whilst also noting how it felt before (uncomfortable, painful, etc) and what the wee was like (long, steady, stop/start, etc).

sorry for the TMI!

confuseddotcodotuk Mon 30-May-11 15:45:11

morebeta: Thanks for the link smile I don't think I have the right symptoms for that. It doesn't feel right iyswim? I'm not in pain really, the first time I've experienced pain was earlier today when I downed two glasses of water and decided to see if I could go an hour blush

I know that in my case it's more psychological than physical, though there is a physical reason for it as well which is my bladder not holding as much in the least. I will try go back to a doctor about it this week, though they may not listen as I only went last week and they dismissed it (again!). If I can get an appointment I'll bring up IC though and see what's said.

I also don't get up in the night to pee, it's only during the day.

I've had this in varying degrees since I was about 13. It started by going 'just-in-case' but didn't get too bad until I was a live-in nanny for a year in 08. Going just in case turned into going everytime I felt a twinge and then it kind of spiralled out of control until I started getting panic attacks just thinking about going without on buses or walks.

As I said before, the hypnotism worked wonders for the panic attacks, it was a last resort as by that point I'd approached three different doctors about it, two dismissed me and the third referred me for tests (only because I insisted, she also gave me duetrisol) but it took two months for the date to come, and it was for the following week, by which point I couldn't negotiate two/three days off of work to travel home, have the tests and travel back to my working town again. Went again last week and was dismissed as I was the first two times.

MoreBeta Mon 30-May-11 18:15:44

You could also try Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. This is a talking therapy which is very good for dealing with phobias (eg flying, going in lifts).

Sorry to hear your GP is not being more proactive. Unfortunately that is very common. You must demand to see a urologist who will do a lot of physical tests and may also be open to refering you to a psychologist for assessment and treatment.

controlpantsandgladrags Mon 30-May-11 19:10:29

Interesting that you don't get up in the night......I generally don't have anything to drink after 6pm but still have to get up once for a wee. If I drink in the few hours before bed I can easily be up 2 or 3 times.

The problem I have is that I get to a point where I feel the need so urgently I start leaking blush

I can't go longer than about 1.5 hours, and that's only if I've had nothing to drink.

controlpantsandgladrags Mon 30-May-11 19:12:02

I have to say I've pretty much resigned myself to it. Plus now that DD1 is 3 and out of nappies, most of the places we go have a loo anyway. I must be permanently dehydrated though. I will quite often go most of the day without drinking anything at all.

confuseddotcodotuk Mon 30-May-11 19:49:46

More: I'll look into CBT some, heard of it but never known what it is so I'll see if it's something I can find in my area smile Thank you smile

Unfortunately it's been four different GP's I've seen, in three different practices, in three different parts of the country. I would've thought that at least one would have taken me seriously! I think it was the urology department I was referred to last time so I'll try again and see if they can give me more than 5 days warning this time angry When I cancelled it they got the ump with me too, cheeky sods!

Would it be the doctor who refers for psychological assessment?

control: sad on your behalf. The longest I've gone today, after downing pint after pint of water this morning blush, was two hours this evening. If I had gone out it would be significantly less. I feel in control at home as I know I can get to a loo asap if needed.

It's mainly the driving between places though, but my shewee has helped with that, being able to 'whip it out' in a lay-by whilst looking fairly inconspicuous standing next to the car or behind a bush has been a godsend!

I'm the same as you though, purposefully dehydrating myself in order not to wee.

MoreBeta Mon 30-May-11 20:23:44

Your GP will probably not refer you directly for CBT. It would need to be your urologist consultant. I had interstitial cystitis and had CBT. It didnt work for me though as I have an actual physical condition - not something in my mind.

That is why it is so important to find out if you really do have a physical problem or a psychological one. Only a real urology expert can help you unravel what is wrong.

confuseddotcodotuk Mon 30-May-11 20:48:46

Thanks for the help smile I'll go back and bug them next week and see if I can get something.

Samvet Tue 31-May-11 14:29:02

Confused - I did the training and it sorted it out really quick. Basically ignoring urges to pee for a few hours then going, in a week or so my bladder was pretty normal. Stick at it!

strawberryjelly Tue 31-May-11 14:39:15

OP- are you following the regime properly?

The idea is that you increase the time by 5 minutes after you feel the neeed to go- then by 10 minutes etc until you get up to half an hour and longer.

I wonder if you are making it harder for yourself by drinking loads and then hanging on for ages?

If you have overactive bladder which is a physical condition with the muscle of the bladder then your dr can prescribe medication such as Vesicare.

You can also refer yourself to an incontinence clinic- NHS, free. Most are listed in phone books etc or your drs mighthave the address.

You could then try bladder training with a nurse to help you and give you charts to help you monitor it all.

confuseddotcodotuk Tue 31-May-11 15:52:26

strawberry: I'm following a rough routine based on ones I found online. I decided to go with the ones where you hold on as long as you can because I know what suits me iyswim?

I made it harder for myself with the water thing on purpose, to get a feeling of how my bladder is supposed to feel full and how I feel when I think it's full. Just experiementing with it really. Today I'm drinking the same amount I usually do to see how that affects it and tomorrow I'm going to start making sure I drink regularily from then on as the heat of the days is starting to get to me.

strawberryjelly Tue 31-May-11 16:33:10

whatever you think is best.

But what I read said that you should start by holding on for 5 minutes longer. you do this for a few days then make it 10 mins, then after a few more days you add another 5 mins etc etc.

As well as that, you should start by going at set times- such as an the hour and half hour, even if you don't need to- then increasing the intervals as above.

Drinking less actually makes your bladder hold less and concetrated urine irritates the bladder making you want to go more.

Ideally you need to drink 6-8 large cups/mugs a day and try to avoid drinks that irritate- such as tea, coffee, acidic juices and alcohol.

confuseddotcodotuk Wed 01-Jun-11 08:01:28

I wouldn't stick to it if I done it by holding on for five more minutes, I'm the type of person who finds jumping in the deep end better for me than doing things progressively.

Again, I found what you're suggesting online, and I found what I'm doing too, just trying one method, one that would suit me better as I know what I'm like and what my body is like smile

The drinking less thing is interesting but at the same time, it doesn't seem to make sense even though I know it's true. I've still dehydrated myself day in and day out because of it knowing that drinking less makes it worse, but still paranoid that if I do drink I'll need to go.

I'm already feeling better about things anyway, by waiting longer I've kind of realised that I can go without the toilet, I managed to walk around town for forty minutes yesterday without using a public loo and drive to my best friends half an hour away without stopping both ways, I've never been able to do that before so right now I'm happier than I have been for months already and that's just from the understanding. I know it's going to take a while to start actually working but I'm more confident about going about my day-to-day things now smile

controlpantsandgladrags Wed 01-Jun-11 11:45:22

excellent news confused......sounds like you're making amazing progess already smile

confuseddotcodotuk Wed 01-Jun-11 12:48:14

Thank you smile I think it's more actually being aware rather than active progress at the moment but it still feels good smile The past few mornings I've drunk a lot of water at once to get a feeling of my bladder when it's full which has helped me distinguish when I need to go from when my mind is telling me I need to go a little.

Like it's telling me now it needs to go, I went two hours ago and have felt like this for about an hour and a half but know my bladder is nowhere near full. I'm waiting until it is so I can pop to the loo before I go out and get my car fixed though as I'll be a bit stuffed if I go and need a wee whilst waiting, I hate asking to borrow their loo! blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: