Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Measles immunisation - can it be given to babies under a year old?

(3 Posts)
TimeForLunch Mon 30-May-11 13:24:03

My ds is 6 months old and will be starting nursery in July. I'm concerned about the current measles outbreak and was wondering if anyone knows if the vaccination can be given to babies of this age?

whymumwhymum Mon 30-May-11 16:51:44

Hi I recently started a thread about this, the consensus seems to be that yes you can but it has to be done by a GP rather than practice nurse.

Also, the immunity may not develop as strongly as in older babies which means you need to have them re-vaccinated at about 15 months in order for them to be fully covered.

I am going to contact our gp tomorrow as we are going to france this summer where there is an outbreeak currently, I think some immunity is better than non!

TimeForLunch Mon 30-May-11 17:32:32

Thanks whymum, that's really helpful. I'll get in touch with my gp. There is an outbreak in London too, which is where we are, so I would like ds to have the vaccination if he can. Enjoy your holiday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: