Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone got any advice on how to treat a stye?

(14 Posts)
K999 Sun 29-May-11 20:29:35

that's what I think I have. Had to Google as never had one before. But it's really painful, red and have swollen eyelid. Advice on Internet was to put hot compress on it but that doesn't seem to be helping.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks smile

K999 Sun 29-May-11 20:51:37

Bump anyone? I'm in agony sad

K999 trying to get a wee bit sympathy....grin

SwearyMary Sun 29-May-11 20:53:34

Yes, leave it alone. Its self limiting and rarely need treatment. You could try gently bathing the eye with cooled, boiled, salty water but it won't stop it being so sore. Take some paracetamol and try to relax.
Have a hug ((())) smile

K999 Sun 29-May-11 20:55:37

Cheers SM...didn't think a stye could be so friggin painful. shock

SwearyMary Sun 29-May-11 21:08:45

Oh yes, they are very painful! I hope it will feel better in a few days....most last 5 to 7 days, in my experience sad

oldraver Mon 30-May-11 01:03:49

If its in an eyelash,pulling the lash out sometimes helps. Now that sounds worse than it does but really not as bad as the pain of a stye

Ambi Mon 30-May-11 01:10:03

Sympathy here from me, I've an eyelid cyst since Easter. The pain has gone but I'm left with an attractive lump which makes me feel like Quasimodo. Hot compresses do help.

Dorje Mon 30-May-11 01:15:17

Top lid or bottom?

For top lid try the homeopathic remedy Pulsatilla
and for bottom lid stye, try Staphisagria.

Also hot compress, and golden eye ointment and if it gets bad and doesn't seem to have burst, go to your doctor: get it lanced and a prescription for an antibiotic cream / drops.

K999 Mon 30-May-11 14:34:29

Thanks all. Have appt at the doctors this afternoon. Couldn't open my eye this morning because it was so swollen. The pain is all round my eye, cheek and eyebrow. sad I look hideous.

Hopefully the doctor will give me some antibiotics.

Malkuth Mon 30-May-11 14:36:37

Rub gold on it. I roll my wedding ring across a stye when I get one and it clears it up in no time. I know it's an old wives tale kind of remedy but it really does work.

K999 Mon 30-May-11 14:38:15

The trouble is, I cant see it. I think it must be far up under my eyelid...sad

SwearyMary Mon 30-May-11 15:03:23

Wow, that is a nasty infection you have there. I hope you get on ok at the Dr, let us know. smile and have another ((()))

K999 Mon 30-May-11 18:07:59

Thanks SM. Doc gave me oral antibiotics. Wasn't a sty. Was an eye infection...hopefully the antibiotics should clear it up. smile

SwearyMary Mon 30-May-11 20:37:48

Thats good news. When you said how swollen it was this morning, I knew this was more than a stye. Feel better soon and make sure you take the full course, even though it may feel right before you have finished smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now