Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Post childbirth discharge - TMI warning

(3 Posts)
haloflo Sat 28-May-11 18:18:02

Hi I wondered if anyone could help or has been through this.

DD was born 2 months ago. I had an episiotomy & internal stitches for a second degree tear.

I experienced 3-4 weeks of bleeding afterwards & then the lochia turned yellowy/white. This has not stopped & we are now on 8 1/2 weeks. DD is EBF and my periods have not come back.

The discharge is quite watery.. It doesn't smell or itch. I have to change my pantyliners several times a day or it leaks to my knickers. It hurts a little when I wee.

I went to my GP - he took a swap. Came back normal but he prescribed a vaginal gel. I went to the pharmacy they didn't have it and couldn't get hold of it. Same result at 2 more pharmacies.

I phoned the surgery back and the only person available on the phone at half 4 on a Friday was the practice nurse. She told me that the product I was prescribed was just to prevent an infection and yellow discharge was normal and would likely last the entire time I breastfeed. Surely this isn't right? As if its not bad enough leaking milk everywhere, I have to leak down below too?!

Thank you in advance.

catwhiskers10 Sat 28-May-11 20:30:26

I'm sure what the nurse has told you is rubbish. I've never heard of an abnormal discharge while BF and it was enough for the GP to take swabs and prescribe a gel for treatment.
I used to work in a pharmacy and GPs are notorious for prescribing things which are discontinued so this is why the pharmacy probably couldn't get hold of it.
First thing on Monday I would ring them and ask to speak to the GP and get him to prescribe an alternative and ask him what it's for.

haloflo Sat 28-May-11 20:47:28

Thank you. I don't feel its normal but she was quite insistant and made me doubt myselt. I will ring Tuesday (another bank holiday!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: