Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

why is dh getting so many stomach bugs?

(11 Posts)
scaredmummy Fri 27-May-11 20:45:04

I don't understand it - for years he never caught anything and in the last few months he has been ill with terrible stomach bugs once ever few weeks.

Please someone help.
I am an emetophobe so this is very bad.

Thanks

Madlizzy Fri 27-May-11 20:45:57

He really ought to go and get checked out.

NimpyWindowmash Fri 27-May-11 20:49:01

I have had 2 stomach bugs in the last 2 weeks. It's hideous. I don't know whats going on. I don't know if there are more bugs going around at the moment, or if it's just bad luck. Could be that your DH is run down generally and so catching every bug that's around.

scaredmummy Fri 27-May-11 20:50:23

I know, and he has actually gone to the doctor with this the last 2 or 3 times - but htey haven't said anything much.

I'm seriously worried - as is he. He is feeling awful and scared and confused and it's not like him at all. He never used to be like this.

Added to which I cannot cope with it (but that's another thread).

Any ideas why this might be happening??

girliefriend Fri 27-May-11 20:53:54

some bugs hang around in your system for quite a while or might be something like irritable bowel. Has he given the dr a stool sample?!!

Magna Fri 27-May-11 20:57:21

Go to the Drs to get it checked out it could be something really simple.

My DS1 last year had 3 months of about 5 bad stomach bugs. The first one was D&V but the next 4 were just the runs.

Took him to the Drs and she suggested taking him off dairy for 2 weeks then slowly introduce it back into his diet she thought he may have become slightly lacto intolerant. We did this and re-introduced everything and we had no more bouts at all until a couple of months ago. We thought he had another D&V bug, went through what dairy he had had that week and voila realised we had let him have too much blush

Since then we just keep an eye on how much dairy he eats and touch wood no more bugs.

scaredmummy Fri 27-May-11 21:07:09

hmm, don't think it's either of this - he gets really bad vomiting for 3 days at a time - no allergies etc. Not IBS - he's being really sick. And not something simple like dairy..
(but thanks for the suggestions - I really do appreciate it)

newbroom Fri 27-May-11 21:10:21

My DH had this a few years ago, we thought it was stomach bugs/food poisoning but turned out to be gastritis related to stress, and exacerbated by a bug called H. pylori (sorted out by antibiotics). Definitely get him to go to the GP to rule this out.

kreecherlivesupstairs Sat 28-May-11 08:28:23

Has he been to foreign parts? My DD had dysentry three times and Giardia which took a long time to get rid of.
We lived in the ME at the time.

lisad123 Sat 28-May-11 22:16:30

Tell him to demand blood test. He could have low immunute system.

RichTeaAreCrap Sat 28-May-11 22:26:26

Has he been abroad anywhere in last 12 months? Bugs/infections picked up can last ages. Or it could be gastritis. I would get him to push gp for tests - both are easy to treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now