Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ouch - shingles! Can't take the anti viral tablets as I am breastfeeding DD, is there anything else I can do?

(12 Posts)
Reluctant2ndtimer Fri 27-May-11 08:09:39

Found a couple of small blemishes on wednesday morning and went straight to see the nurse at the surgery. I have been given aciclovir cream to put on the rash 5 times a day but already it has gone from two thumbnail sizes splodges to half my entire buttock, one side of my fanjo blush and a load down my inner thigh. I have got cocodamol for the pain but I'm worried how much worse it is going to get before it gets better. I am feeling very healthy in general and only a tiny bit stressed so don't understand where this has come from. Is there anything else I can do or take to make it go away?

Reluctant2ndtimer Fri 27-May-11 08:14:02

Ds has had a non specific virus culminating in a rash but he was all better by Wednesday and I was reassured by two GPs that he didn't have chicken pox, could it be from him though and may he catch chicken pox from me now? Poor little treasure is 2.5 and lost lots of weight being poorly for a week.

pooka Fri 27-May-11 08:24:54

How old is your dd?

A friend got shingles and then gave chicken pox to her ebf 11 week old baby. I tnk she didn't get wntivirals in time to stop the symptoms. Was on her face though, so easier to pass on to her baby by kissing and so on before she realised was shingles. Rotten for you.

Reluctant2ndtimer Fri 27-May-11 08:47:52

Thanks for replying. Dd is 6.5 months old, we have barely even started weaning yet so I was hoping she would have a bit more protection from the breast milk. She seems fine so far so fingers crossed. Your poor friend and her baby!

pooka Fri 27-May-11 09:55:21

Also crossing fingers! smile

Is horrible for you though - sorry I don't hAve any recommendations re: medicines.

You can't have caught it from your ds - you can't catch shingles. It develops from dormant chicken px virus at times of low immunity/run downedness. Which is why I'm amazed not more knackered mums get it!

KurriKurri Fri 27-May-11 11:02:33

the only things I can suggest are calamine lotion can ease it slightly but also keeping cool, have a fan blowing on you if possible (esp at night) and I used to put a cold damp flannel on mine too.

Sympathies they are horrible, I hope yours go soon.

KurriKurri Fri 27-May-11 11:07:35

the only things I can suggest are calamine lotion can ease it slightly but also keeping cool, have a fan blowing on you if possible (esp at night) and I used to put a cold damp flannel on mine too.

Sympathies they are horrible, I hope yours go soon.

KurriKurri Fri 27-May-11 11:08:12

sorry don't know what happened there, didn't mean to repeat myself grin

swampster Fri 27-May-11 11:13:27

Antivirals should be fine but need to be started in time.

Here: "Acyclovir is excreted into and concentrated in human milk. Adverse effects in breast-feeding infants associated with exposure to acyclovir via breast milk have not been reported in the literature. Acyclovir is considered compatible with breast-feeding by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Moreover, acyclovir is used to treat viral infections in neonates."

More detail here.

Reluctant2ndtimer Fri 27-May-11 11:41:15

Kurri thanks I will get calamine lotion today, have you had shingles often?
Swampster thanks for that link, will it be too late for me to take tablets though? I've had pains now since Monday and rash since Wednesday.
Pooka, are you a big white rabbit? Ds is named after Elwood P Dowd!
Thanks so much for all your replys.

swampster Fri 27-May-11 11:50:04

Within 72 hours from appearance of rash so you should be OK as long as you can get hold of some today.

KurriKurri Fri 27-May-11 12:08:39

I've only had it once Reluctant2ndtimer, on my head and face. And yes the AV's will help if you are able to take them as swampster says they will work if you can get them today. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now