Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ferrouse sulphate vs spatone

(8 Posts)
choclab Fri 27-May-11 06:48:27

i have been advised to take ferrouse sulphate 3x a day 200mg , which actually = only 65mg of soluble iron i think .

does spa tome contain more ? or floradix as theses to iv heard are better on tummy and high content of soluble iron ..

thanks

choclab Fri 27-May-11 08:32:22

bump

moregranny Fri 27-May-11 09:07:10

My daughter religiously took spatone x 2 and pregnacare but at 34 weeks was found to still be anaemic with very low ferratin stores, she is now on prescribed iron 3 times a day, with only 2 weeks to go now she has been told she may need a transfusion during the birth, hope this helps smile

moregranny Fri 27-May-11 09:07:57

Spatone was from 30 weeks.

Guttersnipe Fri 27-May-11 09:16:51

Spatone contains 5mg of iron I think, and Floradix about 14mg.

although I have taken (and still do take) both from time to time, neither of them contain as much iron as prescribed tablets. They are however, as you say, easier on the stomach/bowel.

WRT prescribed iron, I know you can get ferrous sulphate and ferrous glucomate (or something like that). One is much kinder on the bowel ie makes you much less likely to get constipated. You need to ask your GP which one that is as I am not sure.

Also, if you still have a problem with your bowels, get the GP to prescribe you Lactulose which helps soften your stools. I took it all through several pregnancies alongside the iron. You can buy it over the counter too.

choclab Fri 27-May-11 10:14:18

thanks all ,

been given Furrous sulphate 200mg . says on packet each tab contains 65mg of solubal iron other bits in them r e-numbers preservatives ect ...

moregranny Fri 27-May-11 11:02:37

I would take them, my daughter didn't want to as she was worried about side effects but she is on 3 a day now and is fine, except for being very grumpy, but thats no different than usual !

choclab Fri 27-May-11 15:44:58

yes i will , thanks , hope your daughter soon feels better to , if shes like me tired all the time ....Zzzzzz

i called spatone help line wpuld seem that in the 5mg sachet you only really absorb 3mg she said ...but can double up on sachets , but not a massive difference is it ..
so will give the pills ago , then maybe try floradex ..to keep me topped up ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now