Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

DH won't use deodorant - sensitive skin

(9 Posts)
BoosMaw Tue 24-May-11 22:51:06

My DH won't use deodorant, he gets sore, irritated skin if he does. I've only once ever known him to try using it, and sure enough he did get raw skin in his armpits afterwards.

He does use body spray instead, so doesn't smell sweaty, and his hygiene is good, washes every day etc. The trouble is I'm very sensitive to strong smells and would prefer if he could find something less powerfully scented than all the manly body sprays he uses (he's currently using Brut, which I can't tolerate! It's terrible stuff, I make him wait until the last minute before leaving for work, then go into the garden before spraying it!)

Can anyone recommend deodorant for sensitive/allergic skin? preferably something unscented or at least mild smelling. I think DH hasn't given deodorant a fair go, e.g. in the more than 10 years we've been together he's only tried one brand, one time. There has got to be a better solution!

Furball Wed 25-May-11 06:56:53

I suffer with the same and now use pitrok

I also find mitchum unperfumed spray ok, but now prefer the no chemicals in the pit rok.

camdancer Wed 25-May-11 08:29:18

DH also has sensitive skin. For a while he used savlon for his underarms. Sounds odd, but it did work. Also he kept his underarm hair relatively short - number 2 on his clippers. That also helped keep smells away.

topsi Wed 25-May-11 10:05:52

Botox?

Zilby Thu 26-May-11 11:17:58

Has he tried one of those crystal salt deoderantd from health food shops? They work really well and don't have a scent.

CrossWhy Thu 26-May-11 14:27:02

Brut? i thought that disappeared in the 1980's!!!

Seriously though the human body is not designed for antipesperants and just lead to sweating elsewhwere on the body. From what you are saying he doesn't have a body odour problem and no amount of Brut would mask that for long. So does he even need the spray?

Finally go find a couple of sprays you like the smell of and "accidentally" throw out the stuff you hate.

phonemonkey Thu 26-May-11 22:15:33

How about one of those solid deodorants from Lush?

DH won't use anything, not even aftershave, but washes regularly and doesn't smell at all. Maybe he could just try stopping the body spray?

Snowbell Thu 26-May-11 22:53:53

I had this problem - started 3 years ago - I started getting bright red sore skin spreading in my armpits. My doctor reckoned it was an allergic reaction to the anti-perspirant I was using. I eventually found Sanex hypoallergenic roll-on anti-perspirant. It's in a white bottle with a silver lid. I haven't had the problem again. I recommend he give that one a try.

brandnewme Sat 28-May-11 09:33:34

Another vote for PIT ROK - everyone should use it - it's amazing stuff!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: