Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Need advice from people who've used Xanax and/or beta-blockers.

(8 Posts)
Bulmers Tue 24-May-11 15:13:04

I will be flying on thursday and I'd rather stick pins in my eyes - I'm terrified of it!
Normally I get rat-arsed and that keeps me happy but this is such a long journey I will have the mother f***er of all hangovers if I try.

The doc has prescribed Xanax and beta-blockers. He said to start the BB's a couple of days before travel and to take the Xanax twice every day.

Now if he wants me to start BB's before I go I'm, assuming I will be able to function/drive etc. If this is the case, I can't see how it will make me un-scared on the plane.
Does anyone have any experience of how these pills work or ow they make you feel please?

Prolesworth Tue 24-May-11 15:14:26

Message withdrawn

GollyHolightly Tue 24-May-11 15:16:37

Beta blockers won't make you feel any different at all. They stop your heart racing, which in turn stops many of the symptoms of panic such as hyperventilating/sweating. That's how they work, they trick your mind into feeling more relaxed because you're not having the physical effects of panic.

GollyHolightly Tue 24-May-11 15:17:13

Just to add, beta blockers are often prescribed for people very nervous of their driving test, so don't worry about driving! grin

Bulmers Tue 24-May-11 16:01:51

Thanks Ladies. Are they likely to stop the stomach-churning fear I feel whenever the plane hits a bump?
And what about alcohol, must I avoid?

Thanks...

GollyHolightly Tue 24-May-11 16:44:39

They might not stop the immediate fear of turbulence but they will stop it turning into a long drawn out thing (body will not respond as it usually does to the fear stimuli). Drinking is ok on beta blockers - it's probably not a good idea to get completely shitfaced, but when is that ever a good idea? wink

Bulmers Tue 24-May-11 16:51:48

Thank you, thank you!

I thought that if the pills didn't work then Plan b (alcohol) would already be ruled out. At least I can still have a glass of wine with my meal without worrying too much.
I'll see how I go on Thursday. If it doesn't work on the way out I can revert to type on the way back wink

chilligarlic Wed 12-Oct-11 17:30:20

Hi

How did it go? Am in the same boat! Have pm'ed you bulmers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now