Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Should I be worried about measles? Taking 5 month old to France in June.

(13 Posts)
Moulesfrites Sat 21-May-11 16:18:24

Have read on here about measles outbreak. We are going to France and staying in a remote farmhouse, so it is not as if he will be around other children - I am more worried about the hotels and service stations on the way. He is too young to have the jab afaik. Wwyc in this situation?

Moulesfrites Sat 21-May-11 16:18:46

Wwyd sorry

MmeLindor. Sat 21-May-11 16:19:43

Where are you going?

I have just posted on the other thread, the worst affected area is Rhone-Alpes - Lyon to Geneva area.

Moulesfrites Sat 21-May-11 16:20:26

The dordogne, near sarlat.

MmeLindor. Sat 21-May-11 16:20:29

Here

Lots of info on that thread.

MmeLindor. Sat 21-May-11 16:22:25

map here

with worst affected areas.

WeesaD Mon 30-May-11 12:44:33

I am taking DD - 14 week old - to Spain in August - should I cancel?
Really worried.

What natural immunity wioudl she have form me ( have no idea if I had measles as a child) and if I had had a vaccination as a child would that give her any immunity??

MmeLindor. Mon 30-May-11 12:47:18

Weesa
I would wait and see - you have a fair bit of time till August and you can always cancel.

No idea if Spain is affected though. And it depends on the area of Spain you are going to.

WeesaD Mon 30-May-11 13:03:29

MmeLindor,

problem is I have to pay the balance of £900 by 17th June....

the HPA say -
Recent epidemiology in Europe
Outbreaks of measles have been reported from 24 countries in Europe in 2011 including Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Romania, the Russian Federation, Serbia, Spain, Turkey and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia [1, 2].

MmeLindor. Mon 30-May-11 13:07:31

Oh, that is a pain. There has been an outbreak in London too though.

It really depends on the area. And where you are going. An isolated cottage is less risky than a campsite teeming with other children.

Is she 14 weeks now? So she should still have immunity from you?

Difficult decision.

MmeLindor. Mon 30-May-11 13:16:28

Found this:

Spain* has reported two ongoing measles outbreaks since October 2010, with more than 600 cases reported in Andalusia. In the first outbreak, the most affected areas are Sevilla and surrounding municipalities, where more than 350 measles cases have been reported since January 2011. Cases of measles are reported among healthcare workers as well. The second outbreak was reported in the province of Granada, where about 250 cases have been reported since October 2010.

Here

WeesaD Mon 30-May-11 17:41:33

We are going to a hotel in Mallorca. she will be 14 weeks then ( is 4 weeks now). There will be french and German tourists in the hotel I guess?

MmeLindor. Tue 31-May-11 11:46:01

Mallorca is very popular with Germans.

Tricky to know how things are going to go, tbh.

At present there is no outbreak on Mallorca, that could stay or could change.

I think that the cases are going down in France, presumably because people are having their children vaccinated early or their boosters done.

Seems that pretty much everywhere in Europe is affected a little bit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: