Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Cracked hands that won't heal - any suggestions?

(32 Posts)
CaptainJackSparrowIsMine Tue 17-May-11 19:01:42

The index fingers on both my hands have been very dry, red and sore the past few weeks. I've been moisturising them loads each day but it hasn't helped. I've started putting hydrocoirtosone (sp?) on them (stolen borrowed from ds...ahem...), the rash/red part seems better but the cracked bits are still open and very sore on one hand. Any suggestions on what I can do? Seems a bit over the top to go to the doctors about it. Thanks.

MyCatHasStaff Tue 17-May-11 19:11:02

I've been using Flexitol and it seems to have worked but it took a while.

onesandwichshort Tue 17-May-11 19:17:38

I had that, and didn't have it down as eczema at all (because I have it and it didn't look the same!). But mentioned it to the doctor one day in passing, who said, oh but that's what it is, eczema. So I am now on the next steroid cream up from hydrocortisone and it has completely gone.

holderness Tue 17-May-11 19:25:04

Aloe Vera gel direct from the plant. I've just put some on my cracked skin and literally minutes later it is smooth.I advocate it for all skin related problems and its so safe it can reputedly be used on open wounds.

CaptainJackSparrowIsMine Tue 17-May-11 19:26:54

Flexitol?! OUCH! It burns when you put hydrocortosone on it, I bet flexitol will hurt more <wimp>
blush
One sandwich, I may need to see the dr then. I just hate making appointments for such minor things.

Iggly Tue 17-May-11 19:27:55

Could be ezcema or an infection. Worth checking!

MyCatHasStaff Tue 17-May-11 21:22:18

Flexitol doesn't burn or sting even when my skin is cracked and open. But mine isn't eczema. I use the nail one, not the heel one (but I think they're the same)

perfumedlife Tue 17-May-11 21:55:48

I had this once and rubbed coarse salt and olive oil in for two minutes, washed off and they were soft and good as new. Worth a try. Wasn't eczema though, I think it was contact dermatitus, had a cut and got soap powder in.

gremlindolphin Tue 17-May-11 22:22:19

I get this and aloe vera propolis cream from Forever Living Products (no I am not a rep!) is the only thing I have found that keeps it at bay. I always have several tubes of the stuff around.

thisisyesterday Tue 17-May-11 22:24:41

I get this a LOT.

main culprit is handsoap, seems to be ones that have perfumes added, I normally use simple because that isn't too bad

if i wash my hands too much it gets worse, so i try and limit handwashes (hard with 3 children but there you go)

use barefoot botanicals SOS handcream- lovely stuff!

CaptainJackSparrowIsMine Tue 17-May-11 22:59:52

yy thisisyesterday, I do get it often too and I am a serial hand washer but this time it is particularly sore and persistant. I'm going to try the aloe plant as I have one then move onto other suggestions! Thanks all.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes Tue 17-May-11 23:03:12

Agree about the hand soap, I try and use bar soap as much as possible because hand soaps are so drying, even those that say moisturizing etc.

My best cure is Lansinoh nipple cream, dab it into the cracks, stick a plaster on to immobilize the skin and keep it sealed in, next day cracks are healed up.

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 17-May-11 23:06:56

I had this when I used to work in an environment requiring surgical gloves constantly.

Nutrogena intense hand cream worked for me -even when they're cracked and openly sore. You need to get moisture back in or they will never heal.

I wouldn't completely discount possible infection etc. Already mentioned though.

just5moreminutes Wed 18-May-11 09:54:25

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes has the right idea - I plaster my hands with vaseline and put on white cotton gloves when I go to bed.

CaptainJackSparrowIsMine Wed 18-May-11 12:54:02

Thanks everyone. I've been to the Dr this morning (I tried leaving aloe on over night - covered with plaster but it didn't make any difference apart from feeling lush when I put it on!) The doctor said it was fissure eczema (or something like that, he talks VERY fast) which he said is very painful (yay, I'm not a wimp!) and has given me some cream that I have to put on with polythene over it <clingfilm hands - sexy> for a few nights as well as moisturising A LOT.
I'm going to save this thread though, lots of great ideas for the ordinary dry/chapped hands I usually have. smile

ppeatfruit Wed 18-May-11 13:38:46

Another great idea here castor oil: it heals and totally helps every dry skin condition known to man including eczema, it's natural and the cosmetic manuf. don't want us to know about it 'cos it's so cheap!

nometime Wed 18-May-11 13:44:00

Once your hands are back together do try Nutrogena, I find it really works and I am continually washing my hands.

thehairybabysmum Wed 18-May-11 13:50:10

Lanisoh...the stuff you use on your nipples when bf is brilliant for this, doesnt sting either. it is opure lanolin.

onesandwichshort Wed 18-May-11 16:49:43

Word of warning though, Nutrogena doesn't work for everyone. It's taken me ages to discover that ointments don't work for me at all, only creams, which I am guessing is an allergy to something or other. The only thing you can do is try everything and see what does the trick for you and your skin.

Highlander Wed 18-May-11 18:22:35

Aveeno cream; Neutrogena was pants and stung like hell.

Aveeno is often used for mild excema.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 18-May-11 18:23:37

Scholls Cracked Heel balm....works amazingly well!

TimeWasting Wed 18-May-11 18:29:54

What did he give you out of interest? I'm having a terrible time with my hands.

CaptainJackSparrowIsMine Wed 18-May-11 18:33:41

It's called Dermovate Ointment which is made up of clobetasol propionate (apparently!)

just5moreminutes Wed 18-May-11 19:45:45

Be careful with Dermovate - it's a steroid cream, good for short-term relief of severe symptoms.
My problem is slackness - I should put my non-steroid cream / vaseline / whatever on far more often than I do. If I did, I don't think I'd have to resort to steroids much. (Not a comment on your skincare routine Captain, I'm sure you are far more vigilant than I!)

CaptainJackSparrowIsMine Wed 18-May-11 22:15:17

LOL! Thanks, I do moisturise my hands morning and night, it's the only part of me that is properly looked after but I should have sorted this out a bit sooner I think before needing steroids <muppet>.
Hopefully I'll only need to be wrapped up like slab of meat an eejit for a couple of nights.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: