Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Friend's baby has been diagnosed with terminal genetic condition.

(9 Posts)
GetOrfMoiCase Wed 11-May-11 12:58:38

Don't want to say too much as I don't want to out them - I don't think she is on MN but still.

They found out this week that their 3 month old baby has a condition called Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 1. It is degenerative and the expected life span is a maximum of 2 years. There is no cure or treatment as far as I know.

As you can imagine they are absolutely heartbroken. My DP is with them today working on some building stuff with the father, in an attempt to try and 'do' something. I am going to visit them this evening. DP says that they are in a state of complete shock.

We visited when the baby was 3 days old, me and DP held her when she was a tiny newborn. It is absolutely devastating news sad

Does anyone have any experience of this condition?

And how on earth can I help the parents with this bloody awful news? I want to do as much as I can without being obtrusive.

Dropdeadfred Wed 11-May-11 13:01:50

Have they told her it will definitely be a 2 yr life expectancy - as I have read that some people can have milder cases and live a lot longer

So sorry to hear this sad

GetOrfMoiCase Wed 11-May-11 13:03:52

She was told it was 2 years max. However this was via DP so will find out tonight a bit more.

Just so gutted for them. The baby is beautiful, bless her. I had never even heard of this condition.

Dropdeadfred Wed 11-May-11 13:32:25

Ahh yes, I have read little more now sadHow awful for them sad

PeppaKew Wed 11-May-11 13:38:05

I am new here. An NCT friend has a 9 month old same condition. Send me A message and I will tell you about our experience as I do not wish to post it online just in case. Ps - I won't be online again till this evening.

oxfordcomma Wed 11-May-11 15:06:14

Useful resource about SMA.

oxfordcomma Wed 11-May-11 15:50:27

So sorry for your friends and their daughter sad.

GetOrfMoiCase Wed 11-May-11 17:51:29

Thanks everyone smile and thank you for that link oxford.

TiredButFine Sun 26-Jul-15 00:46:17

Hi all.
Just searched sma type 1, sorry to hijack an old thread but am so worried about a good friend who has a baby just diagnosed with type one. Any one know what I can do to support her? Her baby will not live. I have no children. I just want to help her but I don't kno how

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now