Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone got Bunions???

(10 Posts)
CDMforever Tue 10-May-11 20:54:11

Obviously, I have!
One of them has grown alot during the past couple of years and although its never painful its getting harder and harder to find comfortable or attractive shoes - especially in the summer months!
I went to my GPs about a year ago and said I was interested in having it removed but he bascially fobbed me off and said that the majority of operations are unsuccessful (not sure about that? The bunion is removed, end of story?!) so I went away without a referral.
Wondered if anyone has had a bunion removed and how they went about it.
Get the feeling I'd have to go private.

cjel Wed 11-May-11 07:57:41

Its got to be worth trying GP again, It can be done NHS but I've heard unless its causing you a lot of pain you have to weigh up the pain of op before you have it done. I've also heard of beople who sailed through it. I'd def try GPs again first.xx

CDMforever Wed 11-May-11 14:04:24

Thanx, cjel.
Yes I've heard differing stories about the operation and having 2 toddlers now wouldn't perhaps be the best time to do it!!

alypaly Wed 11-May-11 18:40:12

if its not painful,please ,please ,please dont have an op. I had one of mine done and i am more crippled than i was before. Couldnt stand properly for 6 weeks. It also depends on what type of op they do as there are 3 different ways of reducing tham. Mine was definitely the wrong one...well it wasnt the procedure it was the consultant who was crap.

CDMforever Thu 12-May-11 09:32:55

alypaly that sounds awful.
No my bunion/bunions (not sure whether the other ones a bunion, there seems to be a kind of small ball type mass that can move??) are never painful. My reasons to get it removed would be purely cosmetic.

kitkatya Thu 12-May-11 09:34:43

I know what you mean about Summer shoes sad Its my own fault for wearing winkle pickers in the 80's

CDMforever Thu 12-May-11 10:10:02

Yes, generally rubbish plastic ones from Curtess shoe shop!
Actually I think mine might be heriditary, my poor DD!

CDMforever Thu 12-May-11 10:11:17

Think Posh Spice has bunions too and she's definitely not the kind of girl to wear sensible shoes!!
Maybe we should take a leaf out of her book and display our bunions in spangly strappy shoes and feel proud!

Footle Sun 26-Jun-11 15:21:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

strawberryjelly Sun 26-Jun-11 16:00:42

I have the beginnings of one and can assue you I have never worn pointy shoes. My mum has one on the same foot and ditto shoes for her. hers started growing in her late 70s-80s.

I was thinking about removal as we have private insurance but having read these posts maybe not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now