Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Golf ball sized lump on right-hand entrance to vagina....

(20 Posts)
saggybaps Thu 28-Apr-11 20:58:26

My period has just arrived, inserting the tampon, didn't quite feel right so I just had a look. Now I am FREAKING out. I've been feeling a little below par the last few days, tired & cold - not sure if this could be related.

I had a baby 8 months ago, I had to have a bit of repair work done afterwards. I've not felt right since, no pain or anything. Just not felt right. I thought it was just me needing to get my head around the birth. I haven't had sex with DH since (I know blush).

Why does this have to happen on a weekend when my sodding surgery is shut until Tuesday!!

What do I do? Call the emergency (but not dire emergency) doc in the morning. Wait until Tuesday? Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I've looked up Bartholin Cyst - but I'm not sure. It feels very fleshy & fluid filled. Not painful, just a little uncomfortable.

2BoysTooLoud Thu 28-Apr-11 21:01:05

If you are feeling under the weather may be an infection? May need antibiotics so I would call out of hours first thing tomorrow.

2BoysTooLoud Thu 28-Apr-11 21:03:02

As for not having sex don't be embarrassed about that.. thats babies for you!!
If infection you will feel rough and best to act sooner rather than later.

Hengameh Thu 28-Apr-11 21:03:11

Bartholins cyst?

Hengameh Thu 28-Apr-11 21:04:23

My fault not reading until the end blush

Sounds very like bartholins. I had one until DD2 when it just went during pregnancy

MumInBeds Thu 28-Apr-11 21:06:57

Do call the emergency doctor in the morning, it's always worth getting that kind of thing checked out. A bartholin's cyst or abscess is most likely, fluid filled sounds about right.

saggybaps Thu 28-Apr-11 21:14:53

Thanks so much for your kind replies. Will call out-of-hours first thing in the morning.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 28-Apr-11 21:18:34

Ouch poor you, yes does sound like a cyst. Although it could just be a reaction to an infection in the leg - do you have any scratches/cuts/bites on the same side leg that are infected/red/hot/sore.

Go to Out of Hours - you probably need antibiotics. smile

saggybaps Thu 28-Apr-11 21:52:21

No sores on legs - just had another look (yuck). It isn't on one side or the other... but is bulging out from within vagina???

Selks Thu 28-Apr-11 22:05:25

If it is very painful or if you are running a temperature or feeling unwell - go to A&E because if it is an abscess they can be serious if not treated. I contracted first stage septicaemia and had to have an emergency op to drain a perineal abscess because I tolerated the pain for too long and failed to see a doc until it was really bad.
I'm not meaning to freak you, but it can be serious, particularly with the first symptoms I mentioned. But as you say that it's not really painful it may well not be an abscess at all. But don't take any chances with your health.

saggybaps Thu 28-Apr-11 22:28:01

Called out-of-hours. I have an appt 8am tomorrow. yuck yuck yuck yuck

Selks Thu 28-Apr-11 23:22:59

Good. It may be yuck but it needs seeing to, so you're doing the right thing. let us know how you go on.

wheresmywaist Thu 28-Apr-11 23:36:38

Are you sure it's not just a prolapse?

2BoysTooLoud Fri 29-Apr-11 08:48:02

Hope all goes well.

pantaloons Fri 29-Apr-11 08:51:55

Hope you went on ok. I had an abscess there like Selks, and after having 3 children I can honestly say it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced!

Let us know how you got on.

2BoysTooLoud Fri 29-Apr-11 16:20:26

What news saggybaps?

saggybaps Sat 30-Apr-11 12:14:05

Sorry was away from computer all day yesterday. Well, all really weird. By the time I had gone to the docs, it had reduced in size massively??

By the end of the evening (prior to seeing doc) I myself thought it may have been a prolapse as well. Can they go back up?

So after freaking out - I now feel a complete idiot/ fraud. I know things are definately not right though. So will wait until period finished, then go and see GP/ gynacologist. Thanks for all you replies.

2BoysTooLoud Sat 30-Apr-11 12:37:26

What did doc say?
My mum had a prolapse and I think they can go up and down. There are various treatments but she needed an op. [Don't think that is always the case though].Hope all goes ok. Think you are right to get it checked out.

MistyValley Sat 30-Apr-11 13:15:14

If it is a prolapse the lump you felt could have been your cervix (golf ball sounds around the right size to me - very firm and smooth?)

The cervix travels up and down a bit throughout your cycle ime - usually lowest at the start of a period then migrates back up, so that could be why it moved.

Hope you can get an answer soon smile fwiw apparently they are fairly common and pelvic floor exercises are supposed to help.

2BoysTooLoud Sat 30-Apr-11 17:05:45

Babies are relevant to your situation I think!
As MistyValley says, if prolapse pelvic floor exercises will be first port of call. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now