Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

pinched nerve due to tight back and neck muscles!

(18 Posts)
Vi8 Thu 28-Apr-11 18:40:37

Giving me tension headaches, dizziness, tingling and weakness in legs and arms. GP gave me anti-inflamatory pills and sent me to go to osteopath. I can't wait till May so I'm seeing a private osteo on Sat... GP seemed conviced it's a pinched nerve, and it does make sense as my trapezious muscle is bulging on both sides. Anyone out there with experience and advice?

Vi8 Thu 28-Apr-11 19:23:30

That's "trapezius" muscle!

rockinhippy Thu 28-Apr-11 19:26:14

Not exactly, but your symptom list makes very interesting reading, as its something I often suffer with & my own GP puts down to muscle spasms pinching nerves & gives me diazepam to relax the muscle

I find using my right arm a lot for certain things can trigger it - had to change my mouse to a tracker pad for example & stagger my typing

TBH I would love to get to the root cause & have that dealt with rather than treat the symptoms, but I had no idea you could see an osteo on the NHS - for that matter didn't know they could help

might be worth you asking your GP about diazepam, as in the short term it does work, though the problem is always there & comes back often

looks like it might be worth my asking about an osteo referral too smile

rockinhippy Thu 28-Apr-11 19:30:44

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/muscles/trapezius.php

just googled & found this ...looks like it might be helpful smile

rockinhippy Thu 28-Apr-11 19:31:17

www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/muscles/trapezius.php

whoops blush

Vi8 Thu 28-Apr-11 19:57:01

thanks, diazepam? i'm on naproxen at the moment. My surgery has an osteopath, I don't whether it's an exception, but it's worth asking...

rockinhippy Thu 28-Apr-11 20:03:03

Just googled your drug & its coming up as a NSAID - so a stronger version of Ibruprofen so anti inflamtory,

Diazepam is a muscle relaxant & also used for anxiety etc in continuous dose - I thinks its valium, I usually need to take at most 3 doses of 1 pill & the muscle relaxes & stops pinching the nerve, sometimes only 1 pill will do the trick smile

diazepamhttp://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000757.html]

rockinhippy Thu 28-Apr-11 20:03:52

sorry tried to do the fancy link - I failed blush - here you go

www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000757.html

Vi8 Thu 28-Apr-11 20:12:19

It seems very strong for long term use! Naproxen is not doing much yet...

notcitrus Thu 28-Apr-11 20:28:32

Read this as that's exactly what I've had on and off for months - and my osteopath is a wiz at alleviating it in 40 minutes.

Unfortunately I have a whole lot of balance issues = held up by muscle tension = crap posture = seizing up again in a new way within a couple days, but for most people it's probably a near-permanent fix.
I need to see if I can get treated on the NHS as costs are mounting, but at least it's keeping a nice chap in business.

rockinhippy Thu 28-Apr-11 20:34:07

It would be strong for long term use, especially as it can be addictive, but as I said I only need a few at most & it sorts the problem out, though sadly not for good -

it can be months, or weeks before it flares up again, so in general I don't often take them & never many, usually just 1 or 2 - often 1 at bed time has me wake up okay - but thankfully my GP is good & knows I don't abuse them, so I do always have them at home so I can self medicate as I need too, rather than have to wait for an appointmentsmile

Vi8 Thu 28-Apr-11 21:46:35

Notcitrus, thank you, it puts me at ease. Going to an osteo on Sat, he's highly recommended so I have high expectations. I've had a hard 18 months, with lots of tension and anxiety and I think that is the cause, but the symptoms give me more anxiety, so it's a vicious circle! My back muscles are SO sore right now and my legs have been tingling and numb on and off today, it's very frustratingsad My GP has also recommended yoga, I'm experienced with it so I've been doing a bit at home and it does relieve me a bit...

Vi8 Thu 28-Apr-11 21:50:55

Has any of you had an x-ray or scan to confirm all is normal? I'm scared of damage to nerves, etc. I also suffer from Googlechondria grin

notcitrus Sat 30-Apr-11 13:58:40

I've had X-rays, MRI scans, CT scans, cortisone injections, the lot... all boils down to essentially crap posture that I can't do much about because I can't tell which way is up.

Pinched nerves and carpal tunnel stuff are by far the most likely scenarios!

rockinhippy Sat 30-Apr-11 14:19:05

I've had MRI & nerve conductivity tests for carpal tunnel - all clear, so its all been fobbed off on my M.E. & Fibromyalgia diagnosis & my being prone to muscle spasms in the neck & shoulder -

reading up on the Trapezius makes a LOT of sense to me now (thank you) as I get all the other symptoms too & have noticed a link with using my right arm a lot, but could never get my GP to take it seriously - a real PITA as I work with my hands & can't work much as a result hmm - as I say the muscle relaxants work well short term, but finding the true cause would be great

Vi8 Sat 30-Apr-11 18:52:25

Went to a great osteo today, who said my back is in a right state (due to tension and anxiety probably) and this is quite common. He said to do gentle swimming and yoga, but NO sport that could work the muscles, just stretching...

Raja99 Fri 06-Feb-15 16:26:51

Hi there! I am experiencing the exact same symptoms, tingling in arms and legs off and on and dizziness. I am 34 years old and healthy, 4 MRI scans of brain, neck, and lumber and upper back and all clear. I don't know what this could be, blood and thyroid checked and all good. I have a tight neck muscle, but could that really cause this? I have always had that since I was a kid. I was wondering what happened with your symptoms? Any more insight?

gingeme Tue 10-Feb-15 21:14:57

Good evening. I had these symptoms and more about 18 months ago. Had every test going then had an xray and turns out I have scholiosis, curvature of the spine. I went to, and still am going , to a chiropracter who basically has magic hands grin. I have gone from a bent over miserable pain killer popping old woman to a free from pain, free moving if a little wonky happy lady grin. Good luck. Might be worth asking for an x ray and swapping the osteopath for a chiropracter x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: