Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Red blister/spot on labia while pregnant

(23 Posts)
tigerbear Sat 16-Apr-11 23:09:05

Just discovered a painless, non itchy very dark red spot/lump type of thing on outside of labia. I thought that all of the STD tests done in early pregnancy would detect if I had anything, so really not sure what this is. Worried, as 37 weeks pregnant. Has anyone else had anything like this? Not sure if it's a blood blister - it's right on the line where my (now slightly too tight g-string rubs a bit).

tigerbear Sun 17-Apr-11 00:04:21

Shit, just checked my maternity notes and I don't think I was checked for herpes. Really worried now. Although I think I was checked for this a few years ago as part of a full sexual health screening, I've read it can lie undetected for years. Can anyone share their experiences? Am hoping this is some sort of normal blister.
Would having herpes affect my baby? Would it be passed on during birth?

sofaslug Sun 17-Apr-11 00:13:43

It sounds like a blood blister. I had one of these exactly as you describe when I was pregnant (in late stages, in fact I think it was still there when I gave birth). Never had one before or since, I guess it was down to the pressure!

Midwives never commented on it, and it disappeared soon after the birth. I really wouldn't worry smile

tigerbear Sun 17-Apr-11 08:37:09

Thanks for replying Sofaslug, that's reassuring. I guess it's time to stop wearing chafing g-strings and wear big knickers instead!
Think I'll ask the midwife about it too during my next appointment just to put my mind at rest.

IngridBergman Sun 17-Apr-11 08:44:32

I think herpes would really be very uncomfortable, don't worry, it's unlikely - it sounds like something completely harmless.

bamboobutton Sun 17-Apr-11 08:48:12

i had this. i think it was down to swelling and friction and was probably a blocked follicle.

it went away when baby was born.

tigerbear Sun 17-Apr-11 17:34:44

Thanks for the replies. Good to know other people have had this too.

chrisonabike Sun 17-Apr-11 17:39:24

<peers over half moon spectacles>

my dear, you have a fanjo boil

It'll go before you know it.

Leverkusen Sun 17-Apr-11 17:41:40

tigerbear- no one gets checked for herpes.

You would know if it was herpes anyway, it fecking hurts.

itsabiggywhatdoidonow Sun 17-Apr-11 17:49:15

could be a wart, genital warts often dont itch or irritate. do you have any smaller bumps you cant see but can feel? this is often an indication.

tigerbear Sun 17-Apr-11 18:08:10

Nope, can't feel any others.

Chrononaut Sun 17-Apr-11 21:37:24

It's probs just a spot. Am 34wks and I've had spots appearing on my fanjo, they go away on their own. Just keep clean and try avoid wearing anything tight. It's one of the lesser mentioned side effects of pregnancy. I never got any spots there till late pregnancy. Hope it helps to know it's normal though!

tigerbear Mon 18-Apr-11 09:07:14

Thanks Chrononaut. Why don't the books mention things like this??

VivaLeBeaver Mon 18-Apr-11 09:10:17

I had this when I was pregnant. Was convinced it was herpes and shot down to see GP. Gp was giving me a lecture on how either me or DP were playing away from home while I was getting undressed. Then when she actually had a look said it wasn't herpes, was some sort of lumpy, spot which is normal and occurs more often in pregnancy.

tigerbear Mon 18-Apr-11 22:14:34

Viva - how rude of your doctor to say that! How long did it take for the lump to go away?
I'm still a bit worried about it - didn't mention it at the midwife appointment today, which was a bit silly.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 18-Apr-11 22:54:51

I think it went away after DD was born, maybe a month or 2 afterwards.

I'm a midwife and feel I should know about this more but will admit to being clueless. blush In my defence I work on labour ward so don't come across people being worried about fanjo spots.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 18-Apr-11 22:57:52

Ha, I've done some research via Google and have found what they're called - angiokeratomas

www.babyexpert.com/pregnancy/questions/should-i-be-worried-about-spots-on-my-vagina-46285

beachyhead Mon 18-Apr-11 23:22:10

I had them in pregnancy number 3 and they were just because of the pregnancy. I think they said they were like varicose veins. Mine did get annoying and itchy but don't scratch them, because boy, they blow!!!!! Exploding red fanjo blush
No lasting damage tho'

ChocolateEggyrolls Mon 18-Apr-11 23:26:08

I damn impressed you've seen your fanjo at 37 weeks and that you wear g-strings generally grin

tigerbear Tue 19-Apr-11 23:07:06

Thanks for the info Viva
Beachy an exploding red fanjo doesn't sound ideal!
Chocolate - it was with great difficulty! as for g-strings, they're much comfier than so called comfy big knickers, IMO. I've started to wear them over the past few days to try to avoid chafing on the spot, but i find that they sort of scrunch up under my jeans or leggings. Dreading wearing them with the massive maternity pads too!

tigerbear Wed 20-Apr-11 22:41:56

tigerbear Tue 03-May-11 12:43:38

Bump

TeaAndANatter Fri 28-Mar-14 21:03:03

Just un-deading this thread to add the deeply exciting news that I too have an angiokeratoma. They're not all that rare as a result of pregnancy, but there isn't too much on women having them on the web, more pictures of scrotums (yick), so I wanted to post in case someone else needs to search for this too.

I'm going to have mine surgically removed after birth. Should be very quick and local, and I'm doing it for my own feeling of attractiveness rather than any need (they are totally benign and harmless, just bleed like you're dying if you annoy them). Mine is skin coloured and looks like a large, half pea sized skin tag, but started off like a red blister, then looked like a red lump, then colour died off a bit and it looked more 'normal'. No pain or sensation, just a lump.

Good luck anyone else, and it seems nothing too much to worry about.
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now