Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

copper coil and heavy periods - does it get better?

(16 Posts)
CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 11-Apr-11 12:19:17

i had a copper coil fitted 7 days ago. i experienced no pain or discomfort, and had just a little spotting on the first day.
i have now started my first period since pg and bf (so over a year). it is so heavy i am using both towels AND tampons and having to change these very very frequently. is there any chance this will improve over time???

Karoleann Mon 11-Apr-11 16:36:43

Mine did, first two periods after i had it fitted were very heavy. Things did get better after that, but they were still a bit heavier than before. I found it easier not to put weight on compared to the pill though so I'll probably have one fitted after this baby.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 11-Apr-11 17:15:05

thanks karoleann - it's good to hear there's a possibility things will calm down.

Bumping for you in case anyone else has any experience. I had my copper coil fitted a couple of months ago and currently have my second post coil period. The first one lasted 7 days in total and was very heavy for the whole week. The second one was just moderate bleeding for 4 days but has now got horribly heavy again on day 5. Sigh. Last night I woke up at 3am with blood soaked pjs and had to hose my legs down with the shower. Tempted to try and pull the bloody thing out to be honest sad

CharlotteBronteSaurus Tue 12-Apr-11 18:09:55

oh, bummer. it's a right pain, isn't it? I'm already concerned about how I will cope in ward rounds (huge long 6hour meetings, breaks Frowned-Upon) when i go back to work ....

ilovemyhens Tue 12-Apr-11 22:19:40

I ended up with anaemia after years of heavy copper pill induced periods. It was a good form of contraception, but I wouldn't have another one.

MegBusset Tue 12-Apr-11 22:24:58

Mine has settled down a lot - had it since last June and had about six months of ridiculously heavy/long periods but has got a lot better since then.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 13-Apr-11 08:20:12

so, mixed experiences it seems.
I'll give it a go for 6mo and invest in some industrial strength sanpro in the meantime.
thanks to all for sharing.

annamama Wed 13-Apr-11 09:35:52

I have just had the copper coil fitted too and also have a very heavy period! Was googling and found that there is medication you can take, see below, has anyone tried that?

Tranexamic acid tablets

Treatment with tranexamic acid can reduce the heaviness of bleeding by almost half (40-50%) in most cases. However, the number of days of bleeding during a period is not reduced, and neither is period pain. You need to take a tablet 3-4 times a day, for 3-5 days during each period. Tranexamic acid works by reducing the breakdown of blood clots in the uterus. In effect, it strengthens the blood clots in the uterus lining which leads to less bleeding. If side-effects occur they are usually minor, but may include an upset stomach.

Anti-inflammatory painkillers

There are various types and brands. Most are available only on prescription but you can buy one called ibuprofen from pharmacies. Your doctor may prescribe ones called mefenamic acid or naproxen. These medicines reduce the blood loss by about a third (20-50%) in most cases. They also ease period pain. You need to take the tablets for a few days during each period. They work by reducing the high level of prostaglandin in the uterus lining which seems to contribute to heavy periods and period pain. However, they do not reduce the number of days the period lasts.

Highlander Wed 13-Apr-11 14:05:13

after 2 years mine were heavy, but I guess normal-ish. However, I was cramping all month and alsmost constantly bleeding, so I pulled it out.

ebbandflow Thu 14-Apr-11 12:28:04

It didn't get better with me-I had heavy periods with stomach cramps and constipation s all the way through in the 4 1/2 years that I had the copper coil. I stuck with it because I was worried about side effects of hormonal contraceptives.

DukesOfTripHazard Thu 14-Apr-11 14:39:28

Absolutely fine here. Wish I'd got it years ago. Had it 2 years now and periods definitely longer but otherwise the same.

Tried to pull mine out this morning but couldn't get a good enough grip unfortunately. When I saw the GP for the 6 week check she said to give it 3 cycles and we'll see where we're at. It's awful though........I'm too scared to sit on friend's sofas in case I leave a stain! I've got a 3 hour car journey to do on Saturday and it'll be horrendous if the blood loss hasn't eased by then.

The other issue is that if this doesn't work out the only option left is condoms.......not ideal in anyone's book!

rosebud1973 Tue 06-Jun-17 20:11:12

Hi
I know this is an old thread but wondering how you got on with your copper coil? Did you keep with it or have it removed? I'm having my 1st period and it's really heavy plus feeling anxious. Thinking of having it removed. Can't cope like this for another 6 months or so to see if things settle down. Thanks

PacificDogwod Tue 06-Jun-17 20:13:00

Yes, I had a couple of heavier-than-average periods after copper coil insertion some 6 years ago - absolutely fine thereafter.

PacificDogwod Tue 06-Jun-17 20:13:52

Oh sugar, ZOMIBE thread blush

rosebud, start a new thread - you'll get more replies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now