Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

measles vaccinations for adults? current measles outbreak in Europe

(18 Posts)
nowwearefour Mon 11-Apr-11 08:12:14

Pls this is not meant to be a thread about the worthiness of vaccinations. We have been sent a letter home from school telling us of a measles outbreak in surrey and sussex (and europe) and that if adults havent been vaccinated twice then we should be. i dont know whether vaccinations were widely done for children in 1970s and if they are good enough now? my DMIL knows DH was done in 1978 but my mum cant remember. we are going to europe this summer and live in the affected area in the UK. can adults be vaccinated on NHS? anyone have any knowledge here?

Bucharest Mon 11-Apr-11 08:17:27

"Europe" is a very big place hmm I'm in "Europe" and haven't heard of any outbreak.
Vaccinations were far more widely taken up in the 70s before Wakefield started peddling his snake oil. I would imagine you had both your jab and your booster. Your GP should be able to tell you?

nowwearefour Mon 11-Apr-11 08:18:49

OK, sorry for being too generic. I have been told about France, Italy and Bulgaria, particularly France. Guess where I am going on summer hols !

nowwearefour Mon 11-Apr-11 08:19:32

is my GP really going to have it on my records even though have moved about quite a bit?

Bucharest Mon 11-Apr-11 08:20:34

I'm in Italy and can assure you takeup of MMR is near enough 100% because children aren't allowed into school without it! (and because Mr Snakeoil never made it here wink)

Dunno about France though!

TotalChaos Mon 11-Apr-11 08:21:06

yes, vaccinations were routinely done in the 1970s here so I wouldnt worry about it unless you have other health issues that could compromise your immunity.

Northernlurker Mon 11-Apr-11 08:21:38

MY measles jab was on my GP records and I have moved from my childhood town. There's a good chance it will have been sent with your records.

nowwearefour Mon 11-Apr-11 08:24:20

Yes thanks Bucharest- wasnt about MMR take up, but about adults who wouldnt have had the opportunity for MMR. thanks northernlurker-makes me feel better

TotalChaos Mon 11-Apr-11 08:29:52

before MMR in UK wel had separate jabs for measles and rubella, and nothing for mumps. So don't worry OP re:measles.

nowwearefour Mon 11-Apr-11 08:34:06

ok thanks!

bruffin Mon 11-Apr-11 08:35:10

I remember going for my measles jab in early 70's then being told I couldn't have it as my sister had febrile convulsions, so yes the measles jab was given in the 70s. I went on to have measles a little while later.

recent news article on measles in europe

FlingonTheValiant Mon 11-Apr-11 08:42:42

Surprised if there's a measles outbreak in France. Like in Italy the MMR is a school requirement.

Ah, but that article just says "more cases than previously", so it could still be very few.

If you are worried OP you could just ask your doctor about having a booster, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. I recently had mine done as I showed up non-immune when I was pregnant.

pecka33 Mon 11-Apr-11 11:25:34

i also recently had to have mine re-done as as above found out i as above that i was none-immune during my first pregnancy. i defo had mine done back in the day at school.

AnnaAndBump Mon 11-Apr-11 11:29:35

Hi, this is a little OT but we were planning on going to France with our 8 month old DD at the beginning of may, she obviously hasn't had the MMR yet, would you carry on with the holiday or look to go somewhere else? Thanks

LittleCheesyPineappleOne Tue 12-Apr-11 00:27:21

story here and here

happymumandkids Sun 29-May-11 12:47:12

I was born 1972. I asked my mum to check my records. She says I had a single Measles jab but no booster. I believe the MMR wasn't around when I was small. I caught mumps age 5, and remember having the rubella jab in school age 10.
I checked with my doctors surgery last week to see if I can have a Measles booster. The nurse said I would need to have the MMR as they don't recognise the single jabs (and they are only available privately). The MMR is currently available for people under 25 in our area, and I was told to ring again in June as this is under review due to the recent Measles resurgence and may become available under the NHS to other age groups. As I'm training to be a teacher I might be given priority.
My advice would be check with the nurse at your surgery to see if you can get the MMR.

nowwearefour Sun 29-May-11 19:58:46

Thank you happy. I think I will- i too caught mumps at 4 or 5.

notcitrus Sun 29-May-11 20:12:32

They didn't do jabs for measles or mumps when I grew up in Surrey (born mid-70s), and I was ferried to loads of parties to try and ensure I got them.

Which I didn't, so 2 years ago when there were some cases of measles in Lambeth and I was assured my breastfeeding would pass immunity to ds, and I pointed out that if I'd never had them I wouldn't be immune so bf wouldn't help, I was advised to have the MMR. So I did - one dose. After some consultation they decided no test for immunity was necessary.

Most people had measles and mumps - are you sure you didn't OP? If not then I'd go for the MMR.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: