Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Varicose veins

(21 Posts)
3littlefrogs Thu 17-Mar-11 19:52:04

Has anybody had surgery for varicose veins?

Was it awful?

Was it worth it?

TIA

MarionCole Thu 17-Mar-11 22:01:09

I had it about ten years ago, had both legs done at the same time so I was off my feet for about 6 weeks I think (although that seems a long time, perhaps it was less). I'm glad I had it done though, my mum's were untreated and they cause her a lot of problems now.

3littlefrogs Fri 18-Mar-11 09:55:36

I am thinking that if mine get as bad as my mum's, perhaps I should have them done now - I couldn't be off my legs for 6 weeks at the moment though.....

Maybe as soon as I retire would be a good time.

Was it very painful [wimp emoticon]

Bonsoir Fri 18-Mar-11 09:59:53

Yes, I had my right Great Saphenous Vein removed in 1999.

Not awful. A little uncomfortable (two and a half hours in an operating theatre under local, with sedatives) and two nights in hospital.

Bonsoir Fri 18-Mar-11 10:00:52

I was mobile straight away - I had to wear two pairs of contention stockings for quite a while (a week?), and then one pair for a while longer. You shouldn't do this op in summer as it gets very hot and sweaty!

MrsOtter Fri 18-Mar-11 10:03:35

How bad do they have to be?

I have one just above my knee, on the inside of my leg, which pops out everytime I'm hot or been active for a period of time.

Would they consider that?

I am 29, does that count against me?

Butterbur Fri 18-Mar-11 10:05:42

I had one done about 8 years ago, under GA. They stripped it out from my groin to my ankle. I have a 3 inch scar in the crease at the top of my leg, and a series of tiny white scars up the inside of my leg.

The pain afterwards was minimal, although lots of other people say they were in a lot of pain, so maybe I was lucky.

I had to wear a hideous surgical stocking for 6 weeks and wasn't even allowed to take it off to wash. That was the worst bit.

Also, when the stocking came off, I realised that the worst bit of the vein had actually been made up of two veins, so there was still (a much smaller) varicosed bit by my knee.

ClenchedBottom Fri 18-Mar-11 10:11:57

I was told that the NHS wouldn't consider doing anything about them unless they became ulcerated. People that had them removed, did you have to pay privately? (If you don't mind my asking)

MrsOtter Fri 18-Mar-11 10:18:07

What is ulcerated?

ClenchedBottom Fri 18-Mar-11 10:21:31

Erm, skin ulcers - I'm not a medic, not sure quite how to describe them - they're pretty horrible, usually associated with older people I guess, raw skin, struggles to heal, oozing horribly, lots of dressings that need changing by a nurse, that srot of thing. My mum had one.

someone with a brain will be along soon to explain properly I hope!

Bonsoir Fri 18-Mar-11 10:22:37

Mine wasn't NHS - I did in France where it was paid for by a mix of social security (French NHS) and private top-up in insurance.

MrsOtter Fri 18-Mar-11 10:37:51

I know what you mean now Clenched, thanks.

Looks like I'm keeping mine then

Butterbur Fri 18-Mar-11 11:44:03

I had mine done on the NHS. GP said, "Well I expect they are quite painful, aren't they?" He all but winked at me, so of course I said yes.

I think they've cracked down on non-essential ops in the last few years though.

MrsOtter Fri 18-Mar-11 19:38:13

Painfulas in burning, I'm sure mine feels like its burning and it does get very itchy

3littlefrogs Sat 19-Mar-11 14:29:09

I have one right at the top of my thigh (inner), and it does get very inflamed and sore from time to time. I don't know how easy it would be to do anything about......it is in a bit of a delicate location blush. I just worry about it getting worse.

ameliameerkat Sat 19-Mar-11 23:24:02

I think different NHS boards have different referral guidelines?

I was just at the doctor last week for my first medical issue with my (awful, hideously ugly) varicose veins. I have 'thrombos phlebitis' - an inflamed vein. It's right behind my left knee (amongst the mass of veiny awfulness, stretches from mid thigh to two thirds up my calf, right leg isn't quite as bad) and was really quite painful when it first happened, and has been intermittently painful since. And is painful if I prod it.

I'm only 31 by the way, and my veins started when I was 16 sad

Apparently one episode of this is enough to get referred to the hospital, so I'm waiting eagerly for my letter to arrive now! Although I'm a bit scared at the same time. It would be good if I could get at least one leg fixed, but it's scary to think what it would entail. I can sign up for BUPA through my work, so if they'll fix my left leg on the NHS, I might then get my right leg done privately. Then I could wear something shorter than three inches above my ankle again [dreaming emoticon] grin. Seriously though, that would be amazing. The bumpiness now shows through (i.e. you can still see them sticking out) when I wear opaque tights and (even more depressingly) leggings! They really do suck sad And they ache and itch and burn etc etc etc.

That turned into rather a long rant about my veins - sorry! blush

sadnessmakesmechange Sat 19-Mar-11 23:36:42

I had laser surgery on mine in Nov. I had similar situation to Butterbur - GP winked and nidged me to say they were painful and then refered me privately as i had said I had insurance through work. Anyway, had the surgery November, and was in and out wihtin the morning. Worked from home the following week, but was back on my feet within 5 days or so. had to wear compression stockings, and it was a bit sore, but really nothng major, and was well worth it!

I had a million questions about the laser surgery before I had it, felt v anxious etc, and coping at home wiht a 2 and 3 year old, so if you do have any more questions about the laser op, please do shout and more than happy to answer!

sadnessmakesmechange Sat 19-Mar-11 23:40:12

ps amelia mine were in my lower leg/foot, so likewise havent worn anything short - ir indeed shorter than ankel length ie trousers/jeans for the last couple of years and have felt bloody miserable about it! Had me leg done in nov, so not had a summer to full appreciate it yet..but tentatively looking forward to it...really really hope you are able to get yours sorted soon.

ameliameerkat Tue 22-Mar-11 21:18:48

Thanks sadness! I'm waiting in nervous anticipation for my letter....... It's good to hear that you weren't off your feet for too long.

ameliameerkat Fri 08-Apr-11 15:06:50

I've been for my hospital appointment now and the consultant is quite happy to operate on me! I'm getting referred back for a scan and then we'll decide what to do. Bit scary!

Lenka53 Mon 24-Mar-14 11:41:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now