Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recurrent UTI's - tips for stopping them

(11 Posts)
loueytb3 Wed 09-Mar-11 11:42:08

Am currently fighting off my 3rd urinary tract infection in the last 6 weeks. I'm 24 weeks pg so that is clearly a factor but I'm getting fed up with being on antibiotics. I used to have them a lot when I was a teenager but haven't had them since then really.

I know about cranberry juice but how much should I be drinking per day?

Any other tips for stopping them develop, or getting rid of them before they get too bad??

ilovemyhens Wed 09-Mar-11 12:41:36

Cranberry capsules are better than the actual juice. Keep plain fluids up and try to avoid vitamin c in food & drink as it irritates the bladder.

Has the gp sent your urine away for analysis? Are they sure that it's an infection.

loueytb3 Wed 09-Mar-11 13:39:09

First time, it was definitely an infection. Second time, nothing grew in the sample so they told me to stop taking the antibiotics after a few days. This time, I had GP appt last week to check blood pressure and they did a dipstick and said I had some white cells which could indicate an infection brewing. They offered me antibiotics but I decided to wait in case it didn't turn in to anything. I had some twinges which did get worse this week but have been drinking a couple of glasses of cranberry juice a day and it seems to have eased off for the moment. I've got a midwife appointment tomorrow so they will check my sample then.

Where can you get cranberry capsules from?

ilovemyhens Fri 11-Mar-11 09:42:24

I get mine from Boots - get the Seven Seas ones because they don't contain vitamin C.

clayre Fri 11-Mar-11 09:44:12

I second the cranberry capsules, I get mine from asda!

NotQuiteCockney Fri 11-Mar-11 09:48:09

Ok, first of all, you need to be wiping front to back. Try to avoid getting vaginal fluids near your urethra, and particularly avoid any fecal matter in that area.

Second, stay well hydrated. Peeing flushes out any bacteria that are worming their way up your urethra, so peeing lots, regularly, helps.

Third, be careful not to irritate that part of your body. If you are tending to get dry or irritated skin in that area, that can lead to problems. If you are having intercourse, pee before and after, to keep your urethra clear.

Fourth, avoid chemicals in the area (douching, scented sprays)

Fifth, some bath products can irritate the urethra. Showers are maybe safer.

MorticiaAddams Sat 12-Mar-11 00:05:16

Have they done a blood test to check your kidney functions?

I know a couple of people who had to have a ureteral stent put in during pregnancy to alleviate the pressure on the kidney.

pinkteddy Sat 12-Mar-11 00:10:38

Good advice from NQC. I'd avoid coffee too if you drink it especially strong coffee. Also when you've got infections, wee until the last drop comes out and keep drinking lots of water. Also make sure you are lubricated during intercourse, utis can sometimes be caused by bruising during sex.

FudgeGirl Sat 12-Mar-11 00:20:52

Does the onset of symptoms coincide with you having sex? Just wondering, my friend had the same problem.

loueytb3 Mon 14-Mar-11 16:44:41

Sorry for not getting back on - DS1 has given me a lovely D&V bug....

Saw MW last week who queried whether it could in fact be thrush as she had another woman with similar symptoms and it turned out to be that. She sent my urine sample off but left a message today to say that nothing was found. So back to square one.

fudge/pinkteddy - yes the symptoms do appear around 2 days after having sex so I have wondered about that being a possible cause. I'm already making sure that I'm going the toilet afterwards.

I'm drinking as much water as possible, but also some coffee as I really struggle without 2 cups a day (I cut down to 1 for quite a while but was totally useless in the afternoons). Why is coffee bad? As its a diuretic (?sp) I would have thought anything that made you pee more would help??

ilovemyhens/clayre - thanks for the info on the capsules. When I'm feeling well enough to leave the house (!) I will get some of those. Easier than drinking gallons of cranberry juice (and not so sickly).

The pain has eased although I'm still aware of my bladder from time to time. I'm wondering if its a combination of things, but mainly that this baby keeps kicking my bladder and its making it irritated. It may be something I just have to live with for this pg.

angie99 Mon 26-Sep-11 20:27:00

I suffered from UTIs for 12 years. I was on a daily dose of antibiotics, until I discovered D-Mannose. I even took it during my pregnancies when 2 courses of antibiotics did not work. It prevents and gets rid of UTIs.

I recently discovered that my prolapsed transverse colon was squashing my bladder and making it susceptible to UTIs (for 12 years!). I also had awful pressure in my lower abdomen when lying down at night. I was made worse by 2 pregnancies. My colon was compacted with hard stuff (lack of water and fiber) so I did 2 colon cleanses and I no longer get recurrent UTIs. DO NOT DO CLEANSES WHILE PREGNANT, WAIT TIL NOT PREGNANT - can cause MISCARRIAGE.

Have not felt so well in years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now