Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can pelvic floor physio help / solve rectocele and cystocele? What to expect.

(11 Posts)
TattyFanny Wed 09-Feb-11 19:14:42

I saw the gyno today, she confirmed that I have a rectocele and cystocele (and made me feel pretty shit, but that's another thread).

She's referred my to a pelvic floor physiotherapist. But thinks I'll probably need a repair anyway confused. So, what should I expect? Is it likely to make a significant improvement to the rectocele and cystocele?

I had to go to the appointment alone and there are a lot of things I didn't think to ask...

TattyFanny Wed 09-Feb-11 19:15:26

Oh, shamefaced name change BTW.

bellamysbride Wed 09-Feb-11 19:38:05

Hi there TattyFanny grin-I love the name.

I have a rectocele and cystocele. I had a course of physio when I was first diagnosed with a cystocele (about 6months post birth) and although it improved my pelvic floor strength, I am not sure it improved my symptoms, but I think my expectations may have been too high. I got a second opinion from private consultant who diagnosed the rectocele (said I was 'like a dog with a poo hanging from its bum'-nice blush). She referred me back to physio and I do now notice an improvement when I am diligent. I have also found that if I am really careful about my diet-not too much bread/pasta/tatties, loads of fruit/veg and fluids, this makes a real difference. The consultant also prescribed movicol but I haven't really needed it and find that a bowl of porridge and a glass of orange juice do the job. I now think that I could manage both the cystocele and rectocele without surgery. However I am pregnant and I think that both the physio's and consultant expect that the next delivery might change that!

Have you delivered a baby quite recently? Time really has made a difference for me. I think the success of physio may rely on the degree of prolapse-did the gyno confirm that for you? I also used a Karri Bo (sp?) DVD, you can get it free online and she is really rated within urogynae.

Sorry for the epic post and hope it wasn't too me me me.

TattyFanny Wed 09-Feb-11 20:15:59

Thanks bellamysbride, that's really helpful. Not to 'me me me' at all smile

I'm pleased to hear you saw a real improvement with the physio. That gives me hope, I'd rather avoid surgery if I can. The practical considerations during the recovery would be a big issue. Not to mention the other stuff.

I've got 2 DC, with an 18 month age gap. DD's 20 months, so not really recent. Teh gyno thought that a lot of the damage was done during my first birth (because of ventuse delivery). I definitely had the rectocele before I had DD, not sure about the cystocele. I didn't speak to my GP about any of this until last week. TBH it did get worse after my second birth, but not much.

Could you tell me what the physio actually does? I had to give consent for internal examinations, but I've no idea what she'll do up there.

Will google Karri Bo.

bellamysbride Wed 09-Feb-11 21:35:34

I had ventouse too. It's reassuring about second delivery not making it massively worse. Yes the recovery after the op is a long old stint. I don't know how it would be possible with 2 DC's unless there was masses of help.

Initially the physio just does an internal exam and gets you to do your PFE so she can feel assess your pelvic floor strength/endurance. Then later they moved on to using a machine. You pop the probe in and then they attached me to a machine which was a bit like a computer game, I had to work my pelvic floor whilst following a graph grin. Then they gave me a machine to take home and gradually they increased the length of time I had to hold pelvic floor and the degree of difficulty. To be honest the actually examination was very brief and not a problem.

As an aside I was also referred for cystometry (???) and an ultrasound. But I think that was as a pre op assessment.

It is interesting but I was very pro having the op initially but as I have got used to managing it I would now hope to avoid it for as long as possible.

What aspect of the symptoms of the cystocele/rectocele bother you most?

bellamysbride Wed 09-Feb-11 21:37:04

www.corewellness.co.uk/flash/ for free DVD

TattyFanny Wed 09-Feb-11 21:54:51

Second delivery was fantastic, quick (4 hours, so not too quick), easy and tear free. I hope you get one just like it. I'd do it again tomorrow if it wasn't for the whole pregnancy and getting a baby at the thing wink

Electrodes heh? Nice! So, are they just normal pelvic floor exercises or fancy tricks. I'm struggling to see how it'll help any better than just keeping on doing them as normal.

My main problems are retained poo, just a little bit each time. Gives me piles. Having to really push to wee and a total lack of feeling during sex. I feel generally uncomfortable when upright and at the end of the day.

Nothing too awful, but it really affects the way I feel about myself as a woman and sexual being hmm

Am I right in thinking the OP is inevitable for everyone with this, at some point down the line?

SpecialKindOfWoman Wed 09-Feb-11 22:07:08

Don't rule out the Kegel 8 pelvic floor hand held exercise machine, can do wonders for both prolapses (front & back), for some reason GP's/Consultants don't mention these, worth giving a try to avoid drastic surgery.

SpecialKindOfWoman Wed 09-Feb-11 22:08:43

oh forgot to mention drink prune juice daily works wonders for bowel movement and it tastes delicious.

bellamysbride Wed 09-Feb-11 22:35:49

Praying for a 'fantastic' delivery. Consultant is writing a birth plan for me hmm.

Just normal pelvic floor exercises at physio. Fast and slow. Increasing the length of slow ones. Nothing fancy, but several sets throughout the day Sometimes the appointments do feel a bit of a waste of time. But it does keep me motivated as I don't want to be caught out by the physio.

Sound like your symptoms are pretty much the same as mine. The lack of feeling in sex has really improved though. Initially it was as you describe and really damaged my self esteem but it has improved remarkably. I think that was one of the main reasons that I was so keen for the operation. Also I was a super keen runner before DS and now can't run at all which was devastating. But I have adjusted my expectations now and am ok with it.

I don't know that the op is an inevitability, though I think things tend to get worse at menopause.

I really feel for you. It is something that I just didn't anticipate as a result of having a baby. I have to say that if it got to the point that it was destroying my confidence and physio didn't help then I would have the operation and call in a whole heap of favours.

I hope you have supportive friends and DH/DP.

grangrunt Sat 29-Sep-12 21:28:43

Are there any problems working 40hours in retail 4 weeksbefore rectocele op i am feeling very tired anyone else

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now