Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My 6 year old daughter is getting white hairs!!!

(14 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Thu 27-Jan-11 18:10:44

Hi, is this normal? She has dark auburn hair and I've found about 3 pure white hairs.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but hopefully someone will shed some light on it. smile

Heroine Thu 27-Jan-11 18:15:34

Well I don't know if this will comfort you, but one of the coolest guys in my school had completely white hair (not an albino) and recently I have seen about town a girl with all white (natural according to a pal) hair at age 20 - she puts subtle rinse colours through it sometimes and it looks fab...

but I also remember a guy at school who had a tiny white patch, so its not exactly abnormal..

WhiteLight Thu 27-Jan-11 18:17:08

A girl at high school was about 10% white in first year, and about 50% white in 4th year. She went on to marry the best looking, nicest guy in our year.

WhiteLight Thu 27-Jan-11 18:17:27

Sorry, that didn't help at all.

nightcat Thu 27-Jan-11 19:26:40

It could be some vit deficiency, eg B vits, you could ask for a blood test or maybe get a hair sample analyzed in a lab to see if there is anything obvious. It can also be stress related.

mummyloveslucy Fri 28-Jan-11 16:45:41

Thank you everyone, sorry I didn't reply sooner.

I'll try giving her a multi vitamin although she does have quite a healthy diet.

She has been under quite a lot of stress at school during her last term. She is now being home educated and she's like a different child. So much happier and more confident. hopefully she won't get any more now.

jeee Fri 28-Jan-11 16:50:11

I got my first grey hairs when I was 9. By the time I was 14 I was fairly grey behind my ears. At 20 I had no grey at all. With hindsight, it's clear that the grey coincided with puberty.

As an adult I've found that pregnancy gets rid of all my grey hairs - though it's a fairly extreme method of avoiding the hair dye!

mummyloveslucy Fri 28-Jan-11 17:11:09

That's really interesting! I never realised that hair could get it's colour back. I thought once it was white, that was it.

rockinhippy Fri 28-Jan-11 21:21:30

Look into B12 deficiency, also called Pernicous Aneamia,

if she has other more worrying symptoms you might want to get her blood checked by your GP, but otherwise a supplement such as Spirulina Tablets, cut up into smaller peices would help,....it is a deficieency than CAN cause other more serious symptoms, so definitely work supplementing

Jacquititley123 Fri 20-May-16 10:06:09

Hi Iv also found this on my 6 year old in interested to know if you've found more

ElectroStallion Fri 20-May-16 10:09:23

Jacqui- this is five years old!
Look into vitamin issues.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 20-May-16 10:35:07

Are they grouped together? Could be the start of a mallen streak. my DD is a redhead and has a very small one. I've been told it could get bigger or fade completely and that red hair is more prone to it

Imnotaslimjim Fri 20-May-16 10:35:40

Whoops, zombie thread, sorry!

Jacquititley123 Fri 20-May-16 10:45:24

Oh sorry didn't realise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now