Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Autoimmune hypothyroidism and other autoimmune disorders

(9 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 14-Jan-11 22:58:29

I've recently been diagnosed with this and have been reading up a bit, but am not the best at understanding a lot of the literature that I've come across.

Does anyone know of any reliable easy to understand literature about the likelihood of developing other autoimmune disorders?

nightcat Sat 15-Jan-11 21:30:17

Have seen this mentioned on celiac.com and glutenfreeforum where many people control it by diet (mainly gluten-free). TBH you can't go wrong with dietary approach as from what I have read, some people managed to decrese meds on diet.
Gluten is beastly and its antibodies can damage many other organs and it's not the same in every person.

Try pubmed and any sensible nutritional advice. Here is a start:
pubmed paper

Catsmamma Sat 15-Jan-11 21:33:57

I have hashimotos disease...that's auto immune thyroid

Last time I looked into it, having one auto immune thing puts you at a statistically higher risk of developing another, can't recall exact figures though, sorry,

I also had GD which is (or was) thought to be auto immune!

lucky eh?

nightcat Sat 15-Jan-11 21:37:46

also wanted to show you selection here

Rather than worrying about what might happen next, you could be proactive and get better?

boatsgoby Sat 15-Jan-11 21:39:46

I also appreciate those links, as we are similarly affected. I've found it hard to get info, frankly.

PatTheHammer Sat 15-Jan-11 21:40:03

My mother had hypothyroidism 30 years ago, had it removed and has been on thyroxin ever since.
Then this year she developed autoimmune hepatitis which she is still recovering from and after a lenghty course of steroids is now on immune suppressents.
She is being monitored every few months as is now apparently at huge risk of developing diabetes

Catsmamma Sat 15-Jan-11 21:44:10

I do know that if you have gestational diabetes you have a 1 in 2 chance of developing late onset diabetes

PatTheHammer Sat 15-Jan-11 21:51:57

Yes Cats, she did have gestational Diabetes as well when she was having my brother 33 years ago.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 16-Jan-11 13:50:25

Thanks very much, especially nightcat for the links.

Looks like I've got a bit of reading to do, and can now have some sensible questions lined up next time I see my consultant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: