Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long do antibiotics take to kick in?

(4 Posts)
Lollypolly Thu 13-Jan-11 12:03:42

I went to the doc yesterday with pretty painful earache. As he couldn't see the eardrum due to a swollen ear canal, we prescribed antibiotic tablets - amoxycillin 500mg - to be taken 3 times a day for 7 days. I've had 5 doses now but no improvement. Sitting here in pain, popping panadol. When can I expect to feel better? hmm

thumbwitch Thu 13-Jan-11 12:08:05

I was told recently that antibiotics are not routinely prescribed for children's ear infections in Australia any more because they only reduce the infection duration by 1-2 days at most (so from 4-5 days, down to 3-4).

maybe tomorrow you'll feel better - but I woudl take a better painkiller if you can, with an anti-inflammatory - like ibuprofen or aspirin. Panadol isn't going to reduce the inflammation as it's not an anti-inflammatory.

Lollypolly Thu 13-Jan-11 12:15:50

Thanks thumbwitch - will look out for ibuprofen tomorrow grin

thumbdabwitch Fri 14-Jan-11 12:06:54

Hope you're feeling better today, Lollypolly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now