Talk

Advanced search

Page 3 | anyone had a transvaginal ultrasound?

(60 Posts)
thinkimgoingtobesick Thu 13-Jan-11 11:34:12

I am due to have one very soon, and naively thought it was just a regular ultrasound. Pretty shit-scared to be honest as last smear test was extremely painful - down to a "ragged and torn cervix- which is normal after childbirth" apparently (thank you nurse, feel so much better now, not)
Can anyone tell me if it's painful? How long it lasts? why the hell it's necessary when they could just do a regular ultrasound???? confused

OP’s posts: |
eurochick Tue 24-May-16 20:37:22

It's a bog standard part of fertility investigations. I was given the referral slip for mine along with the blood test slip and instructions for my OH to get tested. Try not to worry.

PollyPerky Tue 24-May-16 20:54:49

It's highly unlikely if not downright impossible that your results are back the same day. I have some tests privately and even then the wait is 2-3 days.
The scan will be routine to check your ovaries.

belinha73 Tue 24-May-16 21:06:42

Thanks, feeling better now x

Finch82 Thu 26-May-16 20:41:39

I had one a few weeks ago. It was completely painless. As other people on the thread have already said, she spent most of the time looking at the screen and measuring. She did angle it upwards quite a bit and she got me to raise my pelvis by placing my hands underneath my bottom at one point. This must have been to get a better look at what I later found out was a large cyst. She didn't tell me anything at the consultation as she said she wasn't allowed to. I did get the gel all over my leggings and having to drink lots and hold it in was also quite difficult.

Don't worry about it though and tell the person performing the US that you are worried about pain.m
Good luck!

belinha73 Thu 26-May-16 21:22:21

Thanks... Called the hospital and the lady said there was nothing to worry about as they were not requesting the US because they were suspicious of my blood test... The reason was a fertility investigation... Phew! Changing the subject... Has anyone used a natural progesterone cream instead of Utrogestan? I have read about its wonderful benefits not only to help conceive but also in terms of decreasing PMS symptoms... Thought it was brilliant... Don't know how different that is to Utrogestan though... Anyone knows?

LyndaLaHughes Wed 08-Nov-17 22:19:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tummypain Tue 16-Jul-19 19:58:05

I just had the Transvaginal ultrasound and no pain at all. Please don't worry. They hardly put it in the vaginal area.

AlexaAmbidextra Wed 17-Jul-19 17:52:38

All those saying ‘they hardly put it in the vagina’, they certainly do put it in fully. They can’t see your uterus and ovaries from the edge of the vagina.

Glitter99x Fri 19-Jul-19 00:59:49

I had one a few weeks ago. If you have a bit of tummy fat they will put the stick inside you but not very far not further than a tampon. I'm a virgin and it was a bit uncomfortable but not painful.

Sam250612 Sat 15-Feb-20 08:22:02

I have an internal scan coming up and I too am scared, I’m 20 weeks but had a lletz procedure last year which was the most horrendous thing I’ve endured, they need to check my cervix but because of the procedure I had I’m absolutely frightened about what goes up there now - is it awful? X

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in