Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Pain after sex... (Possibly TMI...)

(11 Posts)
MistyMooBags Wed 12-Jan-11 11:21:42

For about the last 5 years, whenever I have an orgasm, I get REALLY bad stomach cramps for about an hour afterwards. They feel like the worst period pains I've experienced...

I mentioned it to my doctor a few years ago when it starting happening, but she said she'd never heard of it and changed the subject... hmm

Is this normal and has anyone else experienced it? If I know we're having sex, I'll take a couple of painkillers beforehand, which do help, but obviously that doesn't help with spontaneous sex - I either have to halt proceeding to go the medicine cabinet, or I have to put up with the cramps afterwards...

I guess in one way I'm lucky to have such strong orgasms, but the pain afterwards is no fun!

mommmmyof2 Thu 13-Jan-11 11:31:32

Go back to the doctors! My sister has the same sort of thing and she also has bleeding, the doctor sent her for tests and she has a cist, I am not sure what they have said about it but I no she has to go back every so often.
And I can sometimes have pain and stomach cramps after but I have endometriosis and that is what causes mine, well that is what the doctor says!
But do not let them dismiss you if this is a problem keep going back until they refer you to a gynocologist.She sounds like a bit of a dim doctor!!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 13-Jan-11 12:04:40

Agree with mommy. I have pain after sex and I have been diagnosed with PCOS. It is also a symptom of endometriosis and of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, or even just an infection.

Definitely go back to the doctor. Perhaps see a different GP?

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 13-Jan-11 12:05:53

Agree with mommy. I have pain after sex and I have been diagnosed with PCOS. It is also a symptom of endometriosis and of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, or even just an infection.

Definitely go back to the doctor. Perhaps see a different GP?

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 13-Jan-11 12:06:09

Oops sorry blush

PacificDogwood Thu 13-Jan-11 12:56:32

Found you! <<pushes tax paperwork aside>>

It is a slightly unusual problem but my first gue would have been possible endometriosis, followed by PID or even a bowel/bladder problem?

I'd go back, describe that it is getting worse. I'd do an internal exam with swabs, refer you for a pelvic ultrasound scan and depending on those results maybe send you to see a gynaecologist.

Do you have any other bother ie with periods, waterworks, bowels?

MistyMooBags Thu 13-Jan-11 13:09:55

Thanks, everyone... This was my original posting and I do have endometriosis and PCOS (was told years ago I'd never have kids - WRONG!)

I had a bit of a grotty labour and there were RPOC that caused a lot of haemorrhaging and I was kept in for an emergency (4 days after being admitted...!) D&C when DD was about 6 weeks old... Unfortunately, they introduced an infection during the procedure and I now have (VERY painful, recurring) PID... I don't want to criticise my local hospital, but this is the tip of the iceberg (Gynae keeps cancelling my appts by ansaphone and I don't have a direct number to make another appt) and I don't really trust them to put me right... sad

The thing is, this pain started more than 3 years before I gave birth, so it's not caused by the PID, but as I had another bout over Christmas, I guess it's exacerbated by it and doesn't help...

I don't bother seeing the GP about the PID now as she is happy to prescibe several strong antibiotics when I feel it coming on. She's offered to refer me again to my local hospital, but to be honest, I'm so fed up with them, I ashamed to say I can't be bothered...

Thanks again for the replies.

PacificDogwood Thu 13-Jan-11 13:15:44

Right, with all your previous troubles and recurring PID you might well have adhesions ie internal scarring that sticks your internal organs/ligaments/linings together and get painful because of the contractions caused by organsm. Does that make any sense?

It is of course crap about your local hospital, but seeing a Gynaecologist again may well be worth your while. Maybe for consideration of laparoscopy during which they can have a look around and remove any spots of emdometriosis they can reach and also undo some adhesions.

Adhesions can recur after any surgery, but equally having them removed could give you good symptoms relief.

Or is there another hospital you could be referred to?? Or at least another consultant - fresh pair of eyes and all that.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 13-Jan-11 13:21:14

Hi Misty,

re your comment:-

"She's offered to refer me again to my local hospital, but to be honest, I'm so fed up with them, I ashamed to say I can't be bothered..."

Please do not feel like that. I would ask the GP to refer you to your nearest city's hospital instead if the local one is not up to much.

FWIW I think your pain is down to endometriosis; this can and does flare up in the way you describe.

Don't put up with shabby treatment and this any longer, you need to see a gynaecologist as a matter of course to get this properly sorted out.

As someone who also was on the receiving end of ignorance re period pains for many years, (I have PCOS and was eventually diagnosed with endometriosis as well) I would urge you to get this sorted asap for your sake.

mommmmyof2 Thu 13-Jan-11 13:23:10

I no how you feel though I have to go doctors next week about my endometriosis as it getting worse but I really hate seeing any doctor!
I no I have to though so I just get on with it, I think you should keep going back though,even if you can't be bothered it is your health and it obviously has a big enough affect on you to post it on mn

MistyMooBags Thu 13-Jan-11 15:19:59

Thank you... Because of what happened after I came around from the exploratory that diagnosed the PID, I felt really low and reluctant to see anyone else about it... I asked a young doctor doing his rounds what might have caused it and he told me - and I quote! - that I'd brought it on myself with my lifestyle choices... When I asked what he meant he told me it was caused by "chlamydia, a sexually transmitted disease"... I told him I'd never had a sexually transmitted disease in my life and he said my partner must have given it to me! If I hadn't felt so ill, I would have torn him a new one! To make matters worse, patients on the ward had visitors and everyone was staring at me as he was having a go at me... sad My GP had to chase and chase for the results of the tests they took while I was there and it turned out (surprise, surprise!) that there was NO chlamydia and they had been the ones to cause the infection/PID when I had the D&C...

Unfortunately, this really is only the tip of the iceberg with problems I've had with the hospital. I tried to make a complaint, but PALS let me down very badly and the 6-month deadline went past in a haze of PND brought on by all this.

(Sorry, having a vent!)

Anyway, I'm really reluctant to go into hospital again, only to come out worse (which is what happened on every occasion these past couple of years...)

I will, however, go back to see my GP and ask to be referred to a different hospital. Hopefully they will restore my faith in the NHS!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: