Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian Cyst - to worry or not to worry??

(3 Posts)
twojumpingbeans Mon 10-Jan-11 13:02:57

Hi there - thanks for reading.. smile

This is probably going to be a long story so I'll just crack on with it!

When I was pregnant with DD (4 years ago) I had lots of pain in my lower right abdomen which turned out to be a cyst on my ovary, if I remember rightly I think it had gone by my 20 week scan and was forgotten about until now!

We are thinking about having another little one and I went to my GP, I have always had really really icky periods, very very painful, last FOREVER and also bring with them a runny bum for a couple of days (yuck - sorry if TMI). I mentioned this to my GP along with some general abdominal pain and she referred me for an ultrasound scan (yesterday - Sunday, well done NHS i say!). During the scan the radiographer found a cyst on my right ovary but nothing on my left.

So, my question to all you lovely MNers is.. Does anyone have any experience of this? What are the treatments available (it hurts!) and how might this affect my chances of getting preggers? I know a lot of you are going to say go to your GP and I will be doing but the hospital told me it would take 10 days for the results to be there and I am a very impatient little monkey. Also, am trying VERY hard not to google it as it will give me the fear.

Ta muchly smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 10-Jan-11 15:29:04

Very wise of you not to google.

Very, wery painful periods are highly indicative of endo and I am wondering if endometriosis is the root cause of your symptoms. That is the most common gynae problem seen in women after fibroids.

You need a diagnosis first and foremost however and the best person to see here would be a gynae.

I don't suppose they told you what type of cyst it was (there are several types) - some cysts like "chocolate cysts" are endometriosis related.

Endometriosis if it is elsewhere like the uterine cavity for instance is not detectable on an ultrasound scan simply because the endo deposits are very small.
It is usually diagnosed through laparoscopy which is a keyhole surgery type op. Although it is often used as a purely diagnostic procedure it can be used to good effect to laser out endo deposits.

You should be seeing a cons gynae as a matter of course because all your symptoms certainly warrant further investigation from such a person. This is well outside the GPs remit.

twojumpingbeans Mon 10-Jan-11 17:11:29

Hi Attila

Thanks for your message - I appreciate the reply!

Unfortuantely they didn't tell me what sort of cyst it is or anything very much at all really, I suppose I just wanted to find out a bit more information in a measured MN way (!!) before I went to the GP who can at times be a little dismissive.

I guess it's just a waiting game now really for the results to come back and then I'll know more.

Anyway, thanks ever so much again for the reply, knowledge is power and all that

xsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now