Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Mooncups

(9 Posts)
couldtryharder Sat 08-Jan-11 14:13:53

Just bought one. Any thoughts?

Got sick of being on the pill and being psycho, don't need it for contraception as I can't be doing with sex at all sad (that's a whole other story) so have come off it. Upshot of that is better moods, but very heavy periods. Normal tampons/sanitary pads no good - feel like an inexperienced teenager again and don't like to go out when I have my period (sorry TMI) so thought I'd give the Mooncup a go. Not an environmentalist or new age woman at all, just searching for a solution.

StealthPolarBear Sat 08-Jan-11 14:14:50

Use mooncup +sanitary pad to beginI'd say
(why are they no good btw-can't tell ifyou mean alone)

wuggglemump Sat 08-Jan-11 14:15:43

I have one and love it. It's much less hassle than anything else, totally comfortable, easy to use once you get the hang of it and cheaper in the long run too.
It also lasts longer than a tampon and reduces pain.

humanheart Sat 08-Jan-11 23:41:28

couldn't recommend them more highly - totally changed my life. takes a while to get the hang of it (I gradually cut the stem shorter and shorter until it was all gone) but once you do it;s amazing! wore white trousers the first day of my (very heavy) period - wow.

couldtryharder Sun 09-Jan-11 08:47:30

Thanks ladies. Not due on til the end of the month, but am hopeful that this may do the trick. Keeping my fingers crossed.

moocowme Sun 09-Jan-11 11:06:13

yes i found it much better than tampon/pad combo for heavy periods. yep changed my life. i feel confident during these time and will even go swimming!!!

purpleknittingmum Sun 09-Jan-11 11:46:53

I was introduced to mooncups a few years ago and wish I had changed over long before I did!

If it's in right, you don't know it's there.

KashaUK Mon 10-Jan-11 00:13:36

LOVE menstrual cups.

Been using them for 9 years, started out with a Mooncup, currently use either MeLuna or Ladycup, or my diaphragm as a menstrual cup for mess-free sex on my period wink

Total life-saver for me as tampons and pads always leaked within an hour, I had chronic infections and irritation from tampons and pads too, where as menstrual cups don't leak and have no health risks...which also makes them SO MUCH more convenient as you can wear before your period, with any flow and overnight. I just pop the cup in before work, then go all day and empty/clean in the shower at night, no problems at all.

Sods to the environmental issues, I hate that they keep marketing them as an environmental product, they'd do SO MUCH better marketing them for their convenience, hygiene and safety. They're much more comfortable, convenient, reliable and most importantly safe; no TSS, infections, irritation, vaginal damage, bacterial growth, potentially harmful chemicals or dioxin.

ilovemyhens Mon 10-Jan-11 05:54:36

I was too heavy for mine and I ended up having to empty it every half an hour. It also leaked due to the amount of loss sad

The end came for me when I found ds1 in the bathroom one evening helping himself to a drink of water from it! confused

It went in the bin after that.

I've had my copper coil out now, so I'm not as heavy as I was. Perhaps another try? I do like the idea of the mooncup.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: