Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

my hands are being so stupid

(15 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jan-11 19:28:54

I don't know if it is my raynauds or my arthritis (both medicated) or a virus I had last week but my hands are being so stupid and thick. Every thing is taking me so long, my typing is crap, even when I concentrate what I think I'm typing isnt ending up on the screen. half my posts are bordering on the illiterate. this has taken me an age to type.

Keep dropping things constantly and persistently. Earlier, when I was tidying my sewing basket I dropped every single cotton reel I picked up.

Getting a bit worried - any thoughts?

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Jan-11 16:48:54

I think it must just be related to a PA flare. Woke up this morning and found I have a lovely patch of psoriasis on my chin and one growing under my eye. attractive or what!

I shant get offended that no-one gave me sympathy <sniff>

CMOTdibbler Fri 07-Jan-11 20:25:02

I'd guess it was your arthritis - as your joints stiffen you lose your sense of where your fingers are and how much pressure you are applying because your muscles are trying to move the joint and not getting it as far iyswim

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Jan-11 21:05:31

Time to go back to the rheumy then. This winter is the first one where I've had anything other than raynauds symptoms going on in them. It had just been confined to a couple of large joints (including back) and some tendonitis issues before.

It is actually really really glum making, I'm in my 30's, noone is ever ready for this stuff, but I'd have preferred a few more decades before struggling with basics.

I must remind myself that flares don't last foreever.

CMOTdibbler Fri 07-Jan-11 21:15:53

They don't last, and treating them firmly prevents accumulating damage.

I had inflammatory arthritis in my early 20's, so I know where you are coming from though

Jajas Fri 07-Jan-11 21:19:21

Ooh Kitten you poor thing sad. Thirty anything is too young I agree to be contemplating such problems, really hope your flare up flares down very soon smile.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Jan-11 22:46:29

Thanks jajas, mostly i just kind of accept it as who I am but get on with stuff anyway with determination but this feels somewhat of a blow.

CMOT, can't have been nice. I think you are right about treatment - it has been anti-inflammatories so far. When I was diagnosed the rheumy thought it wasn't the 'destructive sort' but it was quite a few years ago and perhaps he needs to check that.

wheresmejumper Sat 08-Jan-11 00:32:33

Sorry to add to thread so late..I have RA..Have it for 25 years now..Im 29. It fucking sucks to have any type of arthritis but if you are getting the flares, alternate ice and heat, take your meds, go to the rheumy and get some sleep. It might help your hands. I can sympathise with the hand thing, feeling like a klutz, feeling useless isnt nice but if you need there are tips and techniques you can use to make life easier for yourself..let me know if you want the links!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 08-Jan-11 08:40:57

I know someone with RA. It is horrible.
Links would be really kind of you. Thank you.

wheresmejumper Sat 08-Jan-11 12:41:19

arthritis.about.com/od/inthehomedailyliving/Daily_ Living_Helpful_Hints_Arthritis_Tips_Practical_Solu tions.htm

arthritisinsight.com/living/

If you want to chat to anyone in your area there are forums such as rachicks.com/forum.php

If you have a kindle or ebook there are free books on amazon there that are recommended. I would also recommend Patrick Holfords diet. I have his books and it really does help.

Sorry if this is too much info but I suffered needlessly, jut getting on with it and not lettin my arthritis affect my life too..but the reality is that it does but if you change a few things then you will find life so much easier (and all these links help no matter what type of arthritis you have!)

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 08-Jan-11 14:08:55

aww, fantastic - thank you so much

giraffesCantDirtyDance Sat 08-Jan-11 14:11:07

No advice sorry but read and didnt want not to add some sympathy

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 08-Jan-11 16:33:52

thanks Giraffes. I'm trying today to have a more positive outlook. Instead of fighting it so hard maybe I should just make the most of a good excuse to rest and watch a bit more telly and read.

mspotatochip Sat 08-Jan-11 20:48:33

Kitten sorry to hear you are strggling, rest up take it easy and lets all pray for spring

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 08-Jan-11 21:10:35

Spring - how lovely!!
Should be milder for this coming week at least (dodgy snowy signs for the following week)
I think tomorrow I shall plan my veggie garden. Nothing like a good planting plan grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now