Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Hypothyroidism - Can you help me understand my blood results and levels

(4 Posts)
sneakapeak Thu 06-Jan-11 11:00:19

Hi, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after the birth of my DD (she was around 3/4 months when I felt ill.

Anyway, I have never felt 'back to normal since'.

I am tested every 6 weeks to see if it returns to normal as it may be post partum hyopthyroidism (unlikley now as my mum has just been diagnosed). Im given 50mg of levothyroxine and as I say, I still feel i can't get up in the morning and I struggle with fatigue.

When I phone for results my snippy receptionist say's 'normal' and hangs up, literally grin.

Im sure last time she murmoured 2.9 before hanging up.

I have no idea what these levels mean.
I managed to ask her this morning when I got my results and she said 4.4 and 14 hmm.

My thoughts are, who the hell knows what MY 'normal' level used to be before my thyroid decided to piss about! I don't feel 'normal'.

I did see on a thread months ago something about if your trying for a baby again then ideally your level should be under 2.0. Another girl said she only felt ok when she is under 3.0.

Could I go back to the doc and argue that 4.4 is still high (even though I have no idea what im talking about)!

Sorry for long winded post. Im just fed up of dragging my knuckles.

sneakapeak Thu 06-Jan-11 11:01:05

sorry, I think I have been on meds for 9 months now.

woolymindy Thu 06-Jan-11 11:06:17

I expect thr 4.4 is tsh - thyroid stimulating hormone and 14 is the free t4 which is how much thyroxine is in your blood.

They dp sond 'normal' but go back and check it out because it feels different for different people

TooOrangeyForCrows Thu 06-Jan-11 22:43:28

Also, get your GP to show you all the results of all the tests you have had, so that you can see what the underlying trend is. Everyone has a different threshold for "normal" TSH - which may be nowhere near what the NICE guidelines say. Keep a record.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: