Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Finger won't stop bleeding

(8 Posts)
compo Wed 05-Jan-11 10:32:15

Sliced into it with a knife
added comlication of wart on finger which is sliced off ( yuck sorry)
won't stop bleeding
have put plaster on but keeps seeping through
what to do?

TheLogLady Wed 05-Jan-11 10:37:30

pressure - squeeze it hard for 10 minutes. hold it up while squeezing.

if still bleeding it mightneed a stitch or 2.

mamaloco Wed 05-Jan-11 10:45:44

You can go to the pharmacy and get stick on stitches.
Do you have gauze to make a makeshift bandage just to make it to the pharmacy?
If this don't work you might need a real stitch at the A&E.
I had it twice though and the stick on where enough.

compo Wed 05-Jan-11 10:52:59

Thanks will try squeezing
no transport to go anyhere

PestoEatsSnowWarnings Wed 05-Jan-11 10:58:20

I had this problem last night when I sliced the top of my finger. I wrapped kitchen towel round it and held it tight and raised it up (above the heart) to stop the bleeding. It didn't stop. I had to put four fabric plasters on it (fairly tightly ) and then hold more paper towel round and keep it raised.

It did stop eventually. At bathtime I managed to re-plaster it and today I have managed with just 2.

Good luck! smile

Blatherskite Wed 05-Jan-11 10:59:54

Apply pressure and hold it above your heart. It just need to slow the flow of blood for long enough for a clot to form.

I lopped the end of my finger off with a kitchen knife a few months ago and it didn't stop bleeding for days. Had to checked by a nurse who said it was normal. I ended up with a steri-strip stuck over the would to give the blood something to clot to as the would couldn't be closed due to where it was and how big it was.

So maybe stick a plaster on, wrapped quite tight and then sit with your hand above your head for as long as you can manage?

Blatherskite Wed 05-Jan-11 11:00:52

the wound not the would <D'oh>

mamaloco Wed 05-Jan-11 11:14:57

how far away are you walking? last time I had to go with DD1 in the pram for a 40 min walk. If it is bleeding that bad it will stop you doing anything and will reopen every time you move.

Do you have any kind of sterile sticky tape (big plaster end that you can cut) and make a kind of stick on stitc?
You have to pull one part of the wound, and stick it as tight as possible on the other part, then make a bandage or tightish plaster, your finger shouldn't get blue IYSWIM.

And ask someone to bring you the stitches for later.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: