Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Secondary amenorrhea, foul granny face dry skin - cause????

(7 Posts)
katemumtwo Tue 04-Jan-11 14:23:50

Argh. I am fed up with this and need to do a mix of venting while seeing if anyone else has had anything like this?

Gave birth to dd3 last Jan. Had severe anaemia after her birth (despite normal blood loss) and a couple of transfusions. Since then, I haven't been able to breastfeed (milk never came in properly, though fed other dds myself for a year each no trouble), have had awful dry skin with fine lines that make me look about 70 (came on during a single week 3 months after her birth). I also have suddenly hardly any leg or underarm hair and haven't had a period since she was born.

So I went for blood tests at the GP a week ago and... kidney, liver, thyroid, hormones, pituitary... all absolutely bloody fine!! So, wtf?

What the hell can be wrong with me??? I am despairing. I do not want to be an infertile granny face forever. I have only just turned 37. Going back to the GP shortly, but for the moment am really, really fed up with this and want to cry.

coldtits Tue 04-Jan-11 14:26:26

Are you eating enough fat? Are you underweight?

And tbh they'll have been checking your hormones as within normal for a woman in your age range, but that doesn't mean they are normal for YOU.

Do you have a dry <<ahem>> vagina?

Sounds to me like you have surpressed hormone function, and FUCK what the tests say because they don't know how much hormone is needed to make YOUR body tick.

Ask for some HRT!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 04-Jan-11 14:29:14

It does sound like there is a hormonal imbalance somewhere, especially since your body hair is diminishing.

Could it be possible that you are menopausal? Did the doctor test for this?

Unfortunately I don't know much and have never experienced this but didn't want your question to go unanswered. I have the opposite problem, amenorrhea but with excess hair = PCOS diagnosis.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 04-Jan-11 14:30:07

Xpost Coldtits You sound like you know more than me!

cabbageroses Tue 04-Jan-11 18:24:07

I'd go back and ask for more tests.

tests are funny things.

I was told I was post meno when in fact I went on to have another 18 months of periods ( i was 51 first lot of tests).

it's either yout thyroid, pituatry or your oestrogen levels.

Go back.

katemumtwo Tue 04-Jan-11 19:03:00

doubt I am menopausal as both Mum and sister didn't have their menopause till their early 50s... but I will ask if the oestrogen test showed this up?

As for being underweight - I wish! I am half a stone overweight currently and I can't shift it (though 9st 12 and 5ft7 so not exactly ever big by any count, unless you are a supermodel).

I know I do fit all the criteria for a dodgy pituitary so was shocked when it came back ok.
It does feel like my whole body is being a bit slow and elderly. Horrible... can't stand looking and feeling like this.

katemumtwo Tue 04-Jan-11 19:04:34

PS - have never had trouble shifting weight before. Literally spent 2 weeks on salad and no alcohol / snacks and walked everywhere before Christmas to see what would happen. Didn't drop a single pound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now