Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just scared myself by googling - come tell me I'm fine

(9 Posts)
wonderstuff Tue 04-Jan-11 13:25:14

I recently noticed that I am getting pins and needles quite often. I have no other symptoms. I am quite slim and sometimes have low blood pressure, so its likely to be because of that isn't it, just got back to pre-pregnancy weight, so could weight loss explain pins and needles? I also don't do much exercise.

Stupidly googled and got list of very serious illnesses on nhs site, including MS. But it won't be that will it?

gaiamum Tue 04-Jan-11 14:41:13

Hi there wonderstuff,

I feel for you as I do exactly the same when I have symptoms of any kind and get myself in a right old tizzy. The web is really great for some things but very unhelpful for others (ie googling symptoms!) Pins and needles can also be caused by minor issues as well, so try not to fret. I find that once I'm focussed on a symptom, they tend to become greater, so I know its difficult, but try and relax and not focus/worry about them too much (although, I know its easier said than done!)
and then see where you are with them in a few days. Theres' no harm in chatting to your GP if they do continue but try and relax and focus on other things and see what happens first. Anxiety can also cause pins and needles too!

take care of yourself, and try not to worry too much. I totally understand.

Elibean Tue 04-Jan-11 14:43:56

I get pins and needles from stiff back/muscles. Try stretching more and see what happens smile

Thelastnameleft Tue 04-Jan-11 14:45:59

Googling symptoms is never a good idea..having just typed that out though, I do it all the time!

Get to GP is best thing, could be carpal tunnel syndrome?

wonderstuff Tue 04-Jan-11 15:41:08

Thank you for replies smile
Seems such a silly thing to go to the docs for! I don't seem to be able to sit or lie down for long witjout getting them, but the fact I am normally juggling a baby/toddler/cat prob doesn't help.
I'll go to GP if still bothered in a couple of weeks I guess.

hellymelly Tue 04-Jan-11 15:43:50

My friend convinced herself she had MS,but in her case the pins and needles and numbness in her feet was due to a thyroid problem.I get pins and needles and they seem to be related to my neck,slightly trapped nerves possibly.Worth getting your thyroid checked as you've also lost weight,as your GP for a blood test.

wonderstuff Tue 04-Jan-11 15:52:26

Thank you hellymelly I know a couple of people who have been dx with MS in the last couple of years so seeing that did worry me, but like I say I have no other symptoms so I think (hope) its unlikely. I did get my thyroid checked about a year or so ago and it was fine - unexplained alopecia that time!

hellymelly Wed 05-Jan-11 21:30:35

My friend was particularly worried as her Mum had MS,but I think that with MS there are usually other things going on,not just pins and needles.Are yours in the same place all the time?Do you have a dodgy back? Also certain vitamin deficiencies can cause pins and needles/numbness.

hellymelly Wed 05-Jan-11 21:33:20

Just a thought-sometimes when GPs say your thyroid is "fine" they mean your levels are falling within the set normal range.There are two problems with this,the levels are contentious,and in other countries they treat at different levels to the UK,also you might be at the bottom,or top,of the normal range,which might mean that you personally have had a big drop for instance,in your own levels.As you also had hair loss,worth a re-check,and ask just what your levels are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now