Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I need your best immune system boosting health tips.

(14 Posts)
LairOfTheDetermined Mon 03-Jan-11 20:04:07

Anything from diet/exercise/vitimins etc. I have been poorly on and off since July. My immune system has been annilated through repeated need for antibiotices, stress and sleep deprivation.

So as i am trying to sort this out this year so that i can stop going from one illness to another and actually feel human instead of a walking zombie.

I need a plan. Right now I have a sleep deprivation plan to reduce the deprivation effects. I know i need to eat better and exercise. Exercise is easy to sort out.

Any tips on stuff that i can eat/do to boost my immune system?

werewolf Mon 03-Jan-11 20:06:20

Found this on Yahoo.

kalo12 Mon 03-Jan-11 20:09:30

eat a mango
loads of watercress
take up yoga and really do it

RoadCraftGuru Mon 03-Jan-11 20:11:53

I believe zinc is meant to help. A daily vit c & zinc tablet can't hurt IMO.

LairOfTheDetermined Mon 03-Jan-11 20:15:43

Kalo12 - what do you mean by really do yoga?

kalo12 Mon 03-Jan-11 20:29:06

i just mean don't just plan on doing it but really get into it

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 03-Jan-11 20:30:53

Have you had any blood tests to make sure that you're ok? Seems odd that you keep on getting unwell.

LairOfTheDetermined Mon 03-Jan-11 20:38:48

Last lot of bloods were in Sept and were clear with the exception of low side of normal for iron levels.

Problem has been working on about 4hrs sleep per night with a month of nights of about 1-2hrs sleep thrown in for good measure. Not had enough sleep to catch up. Alot of stress thrown into the mix. Immune system further weaken by flu.

I think this is a case of not only hitting the immune systems self destruct button but having jumped all over it blush

kalo12 Mon 03-Jan-11 20:49:54

take magnesium to help you sleep
and eat plums

BelligerentGhoul Mon 03-Jan-11 20:55:11

Make up a huge pan of vegetable soup at the weekend and it will last for a couple of days.

Fresh orange juice or smoothies.

Turmeric is supposed to be good, so maybe an excuse for cooking up some nice curries?

BelligerentGhoul Mon 03-Jan-11 20:56:18

Floradix (sp?) from Holland and Barratt helped me a lot last Autumn when I was feeling pretty low and lacking energy etc. It's iron but natural from a vegetable source iirc.

bubble2bubble Mon 03-Jan-11 20:58:33

Vitamin C - at least 1000mg
Zinc
Magnesium
Vit B Complex
Less carbs, less sugar, more protein, more fruit & veg. Less coffee.

I have just started taking Bio Glucan - don't know yet it it works but has been reccommended to me - reads well if you google grin

taffetacat Mon 03-Jan-11 21:02:27

I personally find cutting carbs and sugar has a big impact on my energy levels

Garlic is supposed to be very good

A decent amount of red meat, make sure you are getting enough iron

A banana is the best quick energy boost

nightcat Mon 03-Jan-11 21:40:35

go carb & sugar lite, take zinc which is v v important for immunity, also B vits & probiotics (to rebuild gut flora after antibiotics)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now