Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anyone had their feet nibbled by fish?

(92 Posts)
1234ThumbScrew Sun 02-Jan-11 22:42:49

What was it like?
Can you have it done if you've got a varucca?

I've had a varucca for about seven years, the Dr has says he can't do anything about it until I get rid of the dead skin. I've been trying to for ages, but it's very deep (sorry it's a bit yuk). I'd like to do the fish thing, but wanted to see if others have tried.

sammac Sun 02-Jan-11 22:50:26

OO I saw this the other day and was unsure about it. I like the thought of having soft silky feet, BUT hate going in the sea when there are fish around. Groupon had it on offer today for £9 instead of £20. Also everyone is watching as they wander by. Do the fish get full up halfway through the day? So many questions and never even thought about veruccas!

GreatAuntLucy Sun 02-Jan-11 22:59:16

I had this done recently. It was great, my feet were so soft afterwards (they're usually horrid)! I was worried I would walk out on two bleeding, bandaged stumps with blood dripping ... but no ... floated out with lovely soft feet.

It felt a bit like pins and needles, I had it done for half an hour, very odd feeling when the fish go between your toes, I had 150 fish in my tank!

I would recommend it, planning to go back later this month.

MittzyBittzyTeenyWeeny Sun 02-Jan-11 22:59:23

Not yet, but I am saving up to have it done smile.

It sounds like pure heaven to me. Sitting quietly with my feet in water while tens of little pedicurists nibble my feet into pampered bliss grin!!

Borisismyhousespider Sun 02-Jan-11 23:02:47

Verruca? have you tried the spit on your own verruca thing in a morning? seriously spit on it before you brush your teeth or anything, rub the spit in, will get rid of it!

alypaly Sun 02-Jan-11 23:10:59

watched it in a shop window in Manchester a couple of weeks ago. it was a great spectator sport. grin this guy was sat there with all these little fish nibbling the dead skin on the feet.

i wonder if they change the water after each client????

TheFarSide Sun 02-Jan-11 23:21:06

A decent chiropodist will remove your hard skin and possibly even the verucca with it - if you have a lot of hard skin.

Don't know about the fish - I find myself feeling sorry for them having to eat dead skin.

1234ThumbScrew Sun 02-Jan-11 23:26:19

Boris I can't get to it because of the dead skin.
Alypaly we've obviously seen the same place according to their website it's changed regularly.

alypaly Sun 02-Jan-11 23:40:17

st anns square near Russell and Bromely?

alypaly Sun 02-Jan-11 23:41:56

i would want ir cahnged after the previous persons scabbypeelymanky feet. they obviously went in there for a reason. can they not reach their feet to clean them...huh!

notapizzaeater Sun 02-Jan-11 23:42:49

My 8 yr DS loves it - personally I'd rather eat snot ! He asks almost everyday when are we going back ......

StayingFatherChristmasGirl Mon 03-Jan-11 00:16:32

Funnily enough I was looking at a website about this today, because I would really love to have this done. I found a link to a spa near me that offers this, and I think they cleanse your feet beforehand, so the water wouldn't have had grubby, manky feet in it, plus the water in the tanks goes through state of the art filters, is sterilised and the tanks have UV light filters too.

The spa I was looking at want you to fill in a health questionnaire before you have the treatment, and you have to tell them if you suffer from psoriasis, asthma, epilepsy, excema, heart disease/pacemaker, phlebitis/blood clots, dermatitis, diabetes, high blood pressure, hep a or b, HIV, or if you have an open wound on your feet. It doesn't mention verrucas, so maybe that would be OK.

I am going to wait until the split in my heel heals and then I will be making an appointment - I can't wait to have lovely soft feet, though with the amount of hard skin I have, it may take more than one go, apparently!

HangingbaublesofBethlehem Mon 03-Jan-11 00:22:52

I had a fish pedicure a couple of weeks back. I'd gone on and on about it and really wanted to go but sadly found the whole experience just plain awful sad. It totally creeped me out when they kept darting through my toes. My feet were ok afterwards but not that soft and I also ended up with athlete's foot that wasn't there before. They rubbed our feet down with alcohol before and after but it still felt weird putting my feet into water someone else had just got out of.

Saying that my mum and my sister just loved it and would go back anytime. I would just say that if your feet are quite bad don't expect them to sort it out. I really thought they'd all be crowded round my heels but in fact they were between my toes and just randomly nibbling all over shock

ThisIsANiceCage Mon 03-Jan-11 00:27:20

No, but DP had his thumb bitten by a cod. Does that count?

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 03-Jan-11 00:33:40

shudders at the very thought

i too am verucca ridden (thanks kids) and couldnt subject my feet to any other living thing, not even my beauty therapist for a pedicure...

DurhamDurham Mon 03-Jan-11 00:34:35

I'm going to the one at Metrocentre in Gateshead tomorrow so will report back. I'm taking dd2 who is 13, she's as excited as I am. Hope it works, my feet are ok but could do with some 'buffing'. I bought a pedi-egg thingy afew months back and it's rubbish so hopefully this will be better.

KangarooCaught Mon 03-Jan-11 00:50:21

There are instructions in 'link' about embedding to the immediate right and down, after 'links and smileys'

You put a pair of [[ at the start of what you want to embed, then C&P the link, leave a space and write in what you want to call it, so survey in this case, and then immediately surround it with a final pair of ]]

Try it out smile

KangarooCaught Mon 03-Jan-11 00:50:45

oops sorry, wrong place

WimpleOfTheBallet Mon 03-Jan-11 00:58:44

HOw come people are taking their kids!? Kids don't have dry skin on their feet!

1234ThumbScrew Mon 03-Jan-11 17:56:55

Ally I saw it in the Trafford centre, didn't know there was one in town too. My kids all want to go too, it's the novelty factor I think.

SauvignonBlanche Mon 03-Jan-11 18:02:02

I've been, twice, I loved it!
My DD had her hands nibbled, she has excezma on them, she squeeled all the way through until the last minute.
I saw signs saying no verrucas, sorry.

omnietyinstables Mon 03-Jan-11 18:02:51

I saw one of these today and stood there agape. As were about 10 other people.

Re the verrucas - I had one for years and it was huge. Noticed after a Kenya holiday that it just disappeared and fell off - must have been the malaria tablets - those heavy duty antibiotic ones (goes off to google). Though it may have been coincidence I suppose.

<wanders off having added nothing to the convo>

MissQue Mon 03-Jan-11 18:04:40

I'm pretty sure you can't go in if you have verrucae, I had one at a festival last year and they were quite strict about no foot infections at all. Surely there's something a chiropodist can do to get rid of the skin so you can treat the verruca???

I LOVED having the fish tickling around my feet, after the first few minutes the tickling eased off and it felt really good. My feet felt amazingly soft afterwards.

thenightsky Mon 03-Jan-11 18:10:04

verrucas are cured by application of the inside of banana skins. I read that on MN years ago and it worked for DD who loads of the bloody things.

cabbageroses Mon 03-Jan-11 19:53:53

I coud not bear this- it must be like being eaten alive. YUCK!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: