Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What could be wrong??

(24 Posts)
Splishysploshy Sat 01-Jan-11 22:53:02

My DS is 14yrs old and is normally very, very healthy, no worries with his general health and has only needed antibiotics a total of 3 times until these episodes. I do not take my DC to the drs at the drop of a hat neither am I over fussy and a worry wart but this is starting to niggle me now, before I traipse him back to the GP I thought I would see if any of you have had anything similar and could throw any light on what is going on?? Thanks.

8 Weeks ago DS was worn out, washed out, coughing everywhere and off of his food. Took him to GP who diagnosed chest infection, gave antibiotics and said if didn't clear up to go back and they would arrange chest x ray. Finished course 7 days later appeared better then steadily got worse about 2 weeks later, gave it another couple of weeks as it seemed to come and go a bit but then he got so run down I took him back. He was given another course of antibiotics (no diagnosis), had blood tests for glandular fever, thyroid, diabetes, blood cell count etc and a chest x ray, everything came back clear. He finished the antibiotics on the 21/12 and we seemed to be on the up, appetites slowly returned to near normal huge portions, constantly hungry again, nagging to get on back on the cards for me ~ my typical teenage boy was back)

Today we have been at friends for new year meal, he had to nap before we went, hardly ate a thing became very pale and slept the whole way home. He practically fell out of the car, I stood behind him as he wobbled up the stairs. He was shaking, looking like he was about to pass out and has a temp. of 38.5 (not overly high I know but warm enough). I don't know if all of this is related or if he is just being unlucky and picking everything up at the moment. he did have a late night last night but slept in till lunchtime and had a nap at 3pm before we went out;)
Any ideas...Don't want to be panicking but this is so not my boy;(
Thanks in advance xx

Splishysploshy Sun 02-Jan-11 08:53:18

After a restless night with DS hitting temps of 40c he has cooled down to 38.2 Says his throat is sore again and looks generally off colour.

FanjoForTheMincePies Sun 02-Jan-11 09:02:47

Sounds to me like he had a chest infection, recovered, then caught flu.

Consuela39 Sun 02-Jan-11 09:04:20

It might be tonsillitis. Can you see the out of hours today, or if not maybe take him tomorrow?

Marne Sun 02-Jan-11 09:06:30

Anti-biotics lower your amune system so he could have picked something else up (flu)?

Hope he feels better soon.

oldenoughtowearpurple Sun 02-Jan-11 09:10:14

With fanjo - keep an eye on him, plenty of otherwise indestructible teens struggle to get over flu/viruses and my own DD got glandular fever at some stage and took months to get over it. Lots and lots of rest (sleep not 2am computer-fests) and good food and general healthy living, especially as he will be back at shool soon and exposed to everyone else's viruses. And not ott on the sport.

FanjoForTheMincePies Sun 02-Jan-11 09:21:21

Also worth getting him checked for tonsillitis I think! smile

blinks Sun 02-Jan-11 15:52:21

what does his throat look like?

Splishysploshy Sun 02-Jan-11 18:42:31

Thanks for your replies

He has not been to bad today and has shown some teenage attitude so must be feeling a bit more perky.

He had some ibuprofen earlier and has managed to maintain a normal temperature. He says he doesnt ache anymore but his throat is killing and he struggled to swallow his dinner. Have had a look down his throat and while his tonsils look red and swollen they don't appear to have any pus on them on to be overly puffy.

He does have this strange mottley pinprick rash on his arms though, very dark in colour and not something I have seen before. Almost looks like burst blood vessels from when someone has coughed a lot, if that makes sense. They are no where else and he says they are not annoying him at all.

Other than that sounds like he is sounding very low and bunged when he talks.
Thanks again everyone xx

blinks Sun 02-Jan-11 19:18:03

sounds like a petechiae rash which is associated with meningitis but can have other causes (usually viral or sometimes by trauma eg vomiting).

the fact that he's feeling better is comforting because the meningitis rash is usually a late sign but i still think he should be seen to completely rule it out.

any headache/light sensitivity/neck stiffness? is he ok being touched?

Nosnowplease Sun 02-Jan-11 19:37:10

A rash like that needs to be seen. Take him to a+e now. It may turn out to be nothing bug it sounds very much like a petechial rash and you can't muck about with that.

Splishysploshy Sun 02-Jan-11 19:42:14

He is fine with being touched and is sat downstairs laughing his head off at something on the tv with his dad. Nice to hear him chuckling.

Do you really think he needs to go to a&e he seems so much better today, last night I was worried with his temp and his general listlessness but today he is just mopey, sore throat and grumpy. Would feel a bit of a fraud taking him to a&e with a sore throat and a bit of a rash..oh no am worried now...What to do??
xx

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 02-Jan-11 19:46:34

Message withdrawn

AngryPixie Sun 02-Jan-11 19:59:16

I was also going to suggest glass test and then out of hours surgery. The rash would make me anxious coming with everything else.

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 02-Jan-11 20:02:31

Message withdrawn

Consuela39 Sun 02-Jan-11 20:16:33

I saw a programme about A&E once and a man came in, feeling Okish but he had a rash like that on his arms. Within a few hours his condition deteriorated and he went into intensive care.

So no, I woudn't be taking the risk. Please get him seen tonight, they will take it seriously too.

Hope he is fine.

blinks Sun 02-Jan-11 20:53:27

yes, petechiae rash and unwell needs to be seen... A&E most appropriate place to get him seen so NHS direct would be a bit pointless.

CarGirl Sun 02-Jan-11 20:56:52

Please be cautious and take him to A&E sad

alypaly Sun 02-Jan-11 23:19:54

sometimes anti biotics can cause a skin rash which does need treatment and it can occur up to 2 weeks after finishing the antibiotics

grumpygrumps Mon 03-Jan-11 01:24:17

I had petechiae rashes when I was suffering from glandular fever. I don't think you will be seen as a fraud going into a&e with a petechial rash - just get it checked out to put your mind at ease.

belledechocchipcookie Mon 03-Jan-11 01:26:53

You can get a rash with scarlet fever. You should pop him to the GP.

Splishysploshy Mon 03-Jan-11 09:44:39

Skin rash disappeared last night so didnt take him. Thanks for all your advice, knew this was the place to come

He is up this morning and getting ready to meet his mates so must be feeling better, says he still has a sore throat so will keep an eye and take him to GP if no improvement.

Thanks again. xx

belledechocchipcookie Mon 03-Jan-11 12:03:18

Honestly, it sounds like scarlet fever. Ds has had this. It starts off with a very high temperature and headache, then he had a sore throat and a rash. His tongue went pink for all of 5 minutes. I whipped him off to the GP as I had no idea what the rash was but it started to fade. He still had red spots in his armpits though.

I'd pop him to the GP if I were you.

Marne Tue 04-Jan-11 15:36:10

Dd2 had scarlet fever last year, it took 2 weeks to diagnose (after i found the symptoms online and told the GP). Dd2 only had the rash for a couple hours .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now