Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How the heck am I going to manage for the next 6-8 weeks?

(44 Posts)
duchesse Thu 30-Dec-10 10:28:36

With a broken ankle and a 16 month old baby? We live in the sticks and I can't drive while I have the cast on, so stuck at home in the sticks for the best part of 2 flipping months!! No buses, obviously.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Thu 30-Dec-10 10:30:41

you poor thing!
can any friends take him to toddler group, or come round for an afternoon?

peggotty Thu 30-Dec-10 10:45:52

Jeez what a nightmare for you!! Can your dh/p take a week or a few days off work, then maybe arrange for mother/sister or someone to come and stay for a while? Have you got cbeebies, you're going to need that grin. Sympathy to you!

peggotty Thu 30-Dec-10 10:47:22

Just been nosing at your profile - sorry blush and see you have older children too - get them to work I say!!

duchesse Thu 30-Dec-10 11:32:05

Peggotty that's fine, that what it's there for! My older children help a lot but once they go back to school they're out if the house 8-6. Not sure when my au pair is coming back as grandmother has taken a turn for the worse. Am quaking slightly here, dd3 Is going to go stir crazy very quickly! She is a very social baby.

duchesse Thu 30-Dec-10 11:34:07

It's the logistics that are scary- I can't even carry anything that i can't carry in my teeth, nor just nip upstairs for something.

DreamTeamGirl Thu 30-Dec-10 11:36:18

Oh yikes you poor thing

One of the mums from school broke her ankle when her youngest was 6 months

I went over every night I could after school when her DH went to work, but luckily it was only for 2.5 weeks.
Can you get a temp AP?

chivers1977 Thu 30-Dec-10 11:40:43

my dad had two broken ankles and used to carry things around in a bag that he had permanently round his neck!

duchesse Thu 30-Dec-10 13:18:45

Bag works up to a point, but not much use for plates of baby food or drinks!

chivers1977 Fri 31-Dec-10 11:54:10

You will have to get organised before the children go to school. Cooler full of food in the living room, thermos flasks of hot water etc. We had to leave him with two casts on to go to school and work and this seemed to work.

Got to say it does sound like a nightmare though having a little one at home with you. All the best

camdancer Fri 31-Dec-10 12:58:43

I broke my ankle when DD was 10 months and DS was 2.5. I just couldn't cope on my own and had to have people in to look after the children. Is there any way you can get some help in? Even if it is just for a while over lunchtime or dinnertime.

I did find that once I got down on the floor I was pretty much ok and could play with the kids. But I needed help to get out of the house. Can you get any taxi's just to get out of the house for a change?

Can dd3 walk? That will make life easier. If you can, just do a packed lunch for both of you for lunch time. Dinner will have to be after the older ones are back. So have lots of snacks around you also. Also, move some nappy changing stuff downstairs. That should do you for the daytime.

Do you have friends with dc's similar ages to dd3? Could you invite them round to play sometimes?

The time will go and you'll get better but omg it is a horrible time. Sorry you are going through it.

Carrotsandcelery Fri 31-Dec-10 13:17:00

Have you contacted your health visitor and occupational health? The oh team should have gadgets which help a bit and your hv might know of help you can get.

It might be they can get you some home care for the baby at meal times and bath times etc. My MIL is a home carer and often cares for children, not just the elderly.

What is your social network like there? Could you have a rota of friends who help you out? A visitor a day would make a big difference and people are usually really happy to be helpful.

If dh could take every Wednesday off while you are confined it would break the week. 2 days alone sounds more bearable than a whole week. I know it eats into precious holiday time but these are exceptional time.
I think he would also be entitled to family days which are aimed at these circumstances. I am not sure if he would be paid for these days so you would have to consider the budget.

You will be amazed by what you can cope with though. We mums are pretty amazing. Good luck and there is always MN for company! grin

dessen Sat 01-Jan-11 10:41:16

This is tough time duchesse. I've had an operation on my legs on tuesday & can't walk on my left so I'm on crutches (an unexpexted outcome of the op). Don't know how long it will last but yesterday was told it could be a week or more. But don't know for sure & don't know when I'll be able to drive.
Things like getting the kids to school & looking after my 12month little one who isn't walking yet. What to do? Trying to sort out something but don't know what.
Hope you'll be ok. 16 months is a challenging time.

thelittlebluepills Sat 01-Jan-11 16:28:43

if you speak to the Occupational Therapy team or the red cross they can loan you some useful stuff like a zimmer frame thing with wheels and an integral tray so you can safely get hot food and drinks and yourself from room to room. Am sure they will have some other suggestions

definitely invite other parents over to you - don't feel awkward about asking others for help - we've always found that people love to be useful in a crisis!

duchesse Tue 04-Jan-11 14:18:37

Here I am in the hospital about to have the ankle pinned and plated. Eek, really not looking forward to it. Will also have to start the healing process from square one. Fun fun fun.

theidsalright Tue 04-Jan-11 17:31:48

oh dear. I hope it goes OK. Do let us know how you are. I do hope someone can come on with further words of wisdom.

I have been lurking with a broken humerus (and a 21 month old).

It's fucking annoying. I am in full panic mode re:DH working as I am unable to even change a nappy.....so you have my every sympathy.

canyou Tue 04-Jan-11 20:09:35

theidsalright how big is your DC? could you use pull ups that is what my sis did and shower for messy changes or else she rang my mum or me

theidsalright Tue 04-Jan-11 20:45:54

no family to help.

DH is 21 months and a "carry me mama" type of boy! pull ups might be an idea! cannot lift him into cot/into buggy/high chair. we live up two flights of stairs....

moan moan moan sad

canyou Tue 04-Jan-11 21:01:16

forget high chairs picnics at the coffee table, can you borrow something like this that he could climb in and out of and maybe leave it at the end of the steps with a bicycle lock? [bad mother here my 18 month old can get herself in and out of her buggy]
Disposable table ware is your friend

purplepidjbauble Tue 04-Jan-11 21:11:37

Social Services should be able to give you some respite care.

Also, domiciliary care agencies will be able to come in - but would expect paying

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 05-Jan-11 21:10:08

You need a rolleraid

Not sure if you'll get it in the nhs, but would be worth asking around local physio departments.

Where do you live btw?

duchesse Mon 10-Jan-11 10:07:57

I live in rural Devon. The hospital is very good but obviously we need to drive everywhere here. My au pair has now returned and lovely friends are cooking for us and coming round just to be another pair of hand with the baby. I'm just deeply frustrated at not being able to do anything much whilst at the same time very happy at being able to read my way through a stack of novels (although am losing muscle tone alarmingly fast..)

duchesse Mon 10-Jan-11 10:09:21

Theid, how are you doing?

Asinine Mon 10-Jan-11 10:25:18

Another broken ankle here! It is frustrating, duchesse, not to be able to look after the kids, house or even yourself properly, I really sympathise. Have had to let people help while I lounge around reading and mnetting! 8 weeks feels like a very long time when you're stuck in this situation.

aristocat Mon 10-Jan-11 10:27:24

duchesse how are you? we are missing you at 40 Towers come back soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now