Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Husband with cancer

(8 Posts)
WESM Wed 29-Dec-10 18:31:58

Hi all,

Back in august my DH was diagnosed with a brain tumor completely out of the blue. He s 39. So after 2 biopsies it was discovered a grade 111 tumor.

He is now undergoing Radio and Chemo Therapy. We have 3 children 14, 9, 6 and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

How did you deal with it? Some days are better than others but it is hard.

Any shared experiences would help.

Thanks xx

Flightattendant29 Wed 29-Dec-10 18:41:31

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this.

There are several families on MN who have experience of brain tumours.

Hopefully they will find this thread and be able to help you along the way.

Good luck xxx

WESM Wed 29-Dec-10 18:58:13

Thank you very much for your reply.

Bearcat Wed 29-Dec-10 19:18:21

DH had testicular cancer aged 36, 18 yes ago. Our DS's were aged 4 and 1.
I thought he was going to die, I was so scared..
He had the testicle removed and had 3 weeks radiotherapy
He was so brave and strong.
5 hrs ago aged 49 he was diagnosed with bowel cancer. This time for some reason I knew he'd be O K. I didn't panic at all, the doctors were extremely positive and he ended up having half his colon removed. He needed no chemotherapy or radiotherapy, and just had 6 weeks off work to recover from the surgery. He is very fit and still plays 5 a side football every week and the nurses were amazed at his rapid recovery.
I know now that cancer is not a death sentence and want to pass my best wishes onto you and your husband and hope for the very best for you.

Bearcat Wed 29-Dec-10 19:19:42

Sorry that should be 5 years ago!

WESM Thu 30-Dec-10 11:37:21

Thanks Bearcat.

Wow! You have had a rough time.

My DH was originally given 5 years... but they are now being a bit more optimistic but we have to wait and see what the scan says after the radio & chemo is finished. But there will probably be more throughout the year.

DH is struggling at the mo with the side effects which makes it heartbreaking but I am being strong for him.

I am also going to post on Macmillian but thank ou so much for sharing your story with me xx

triplets Fri 31-Dec-10 01:26:39

Hi Wesm, so very sorry your family is going thru tis too. It is a nightmare, but you learn to live with it. My husband is 69, 11 yrs older than me. We have 13yr old bbg triplets, born 4 yrs after the sudden death of our then only child Matthew, he was 14.Three years ago this month my husband was didgnosed with bowel cancer which ha already spread to his liver, stage 4. The shock was terrible. He had the bowel tumour removed, followed by 6 months of chemo. Then liver resection, more chemo, then they ended up taking 60% of his liver away. He then had 6 months clear. In Jan this year it retd, in his liver and new spread to his lung. We were absolutley devastated, ripped apart. The children being older understood more, a nightmare. He was then offered to go on a trial, had 6 months gruelling chemo, terrible side effects, very upsetting for the children, but they coped amazingly well. On the 1st Nov he went back to Kings in London and had his 4th liver resection and the ileostomy reversed. We now go back on the 10th Jan to see the lung team and he will poss have lung resection in the next month. Then its fingers x`d! It has been hard, I found the first year we had lots of support, but as time goes on peole have stepped back, it was the same when Matthew died. My lifeline has been the Macmillen site, join the forum, I have made many special friends, patient or carer, it really has made me feel not so alone. I pray that you will all come thru this awful time. xx

ChippingIn Fri 31-Dec-10 01:35:46

WESM - sorry to hear this Triplets & Bearcat too

As Flight said, sadly there are quite a few other families going through this as well. I'm sure they will be along to make themselves known.

Unfortunately my family has had it's fair share of cancer, but I've not been in your situation so I can't really do as you have asked and share experiences - but I wish you all the best and send you love & strength to get through this x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: