Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

8.6 year old ds, body odour

(12 Posts)
Scorps Tue 28-Dec-10 22:38:40

Ds1 is 8 and a half, and i have noticed he is starting to smell of 'adult' sweat (we are quite cuddly etc). He has a wash everyday and a shower/bath nearly everyday iyswim. I am an open parent, very happy to talk about bodies etc, but I'm wondering what to do. He feels a bit young to me for deodrant, but if he needs it..... his Dad also wondered if there is anything like a young persons first deodrant iyswim? No other signs of puberty.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 28-Dec-10 22:43:18

If he needs deodarant, he needs it.

My ds was about 9 and not at all physically mature. He was just a bit ripe.

Scorps Tue 28-Dec-10 22:44:59

Yes, that's what i thought, I just wondered if this was the start of things, I suppose. Will normal mens deodrant be ok? God i sound so thick but its different when its your baby, isn't it.

Normasnorks Tue 28-Dec-10 22:45:30

Same here with DS2 (also 8)

I also didn't like the idea of deodrant at such a young age. We just get him to wash his armpits a lot and try not to make a big deal - just telling him it's part of growing up, and that this bit of him seems to be growing up sooner!

There was a thread about this a while back and I'm sure someone posted that there was a theory that it was to do with hormones in milk. DS drinks a lot of milk, and I wondered if it might be true?

Ooopsadaisy Tue 28-Dec-10 22:48:40

Roll-on rather than spray. Don't know why. It just seemed gentler and less testosterone-y??????

Don't know what I mean by that really, but it's what we did.

Scorps Tue 28-Dec-10 22:49:44

I don't know why I feel such an aversion to deodrant, it just doesn't feel right, but again I don't want him to smell. He's very sporty too and I don't want other children picking on him. His Dad wondered about a 'first' deodrant?

Scorps Tue 28-Dec-10 22:50:47

I wonder if there is a 'natural' roll on?

I remember doing this for myself not so long ago, I don't feel old enough for this!

Ooopsadaisy Tue 28-Dec-10 22:54:48

Think we went with Lynx roll-on. I let him chose it - like a right of passage.

Scorps Tue 28-Dec-10 22:55:42

Ok, thankyou.

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 29-Dec-10 11:52:36

Message withdrawn

Bearcat Wed 29-Dec-10 17:47:31

One of my DS's friends was rather wiffy and we're talking 15 years ago now. You could always tell when he had been in our house. We had to open windows after he'd gone. Don't know why his parents did nothing about it for as long as it went on for and he was from a very nice family.
We noticed on DS2 that he was staring to get a bit of BO at about 9 and we got him some deodorant and made sure he bathed or showered every day.
The BO was knocked on the head before it became a problem.
I never wanted DS2 to be thought of as smelly by anyone else.

schroeder Wed 29-Dec-10 18:55:58

Toms deoderant from holland and barrett is good and stops the lynx effectgrin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: