Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Children going back to school will trigger major flu epidemic

(5 Posts)
dikkertjedap Tue 28-Dec-10 14:40:49

I posted it in swine flu but may be should have posted in general health

What do you think????

cluttermountain Tue 28-Dec-10 14:53:28

My 5 year old and toddler had the flu vaccine in January. Would they still be protected? I have seen this question asked before but not seen a clear answer. Anyone know?

dikkertjedap Tue 28-Dec-10 14:57:53

According to the CDC not, I will go and find the link

dikkertjedap Tue 28-Dec-10 15:04:58

Clutter found this so far but there is more and I will keep looking (didn't bookmark it unfortunately). It is a bit long so skip over first bit as that is just stating the obvious:

Why do I need to get vaccinated against the flu every year?
Flu viruses change from year to year, which means two things. First, you can get the flu more than once during your lifetime. The immunity (natural protection that develops against a disease after a person has had that disease) that is built up from having the flu caused by one virus strain doesn't always provide protection when a new strain is circulating. Second, a vaccine made against flu viruses circulating last year may not protect against the newer viruses. That is why the influenza vaccine is updated to include current viruses every year.

Another reason to get flu vaccine every year is that after you get vaccinated your immunity declines over time and may be too low to provide protection after a year.

cluttermountain Tue 28-Dec-10 15:10:19

Thanks dikkertjedap. I'll just have to hope they may have some protection from swine flu left. I do find it a bit confusing! I'll have a good read of your link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now