Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

sodding flu - what's going on?

(24 Posts)
fluschmoo Tue 28-Dec-10 10:58:49

Would really love someone to come and tell me about why I still feel like crap after having started with the flu over 2 weeks ago.

I woke up this morning feeling like i've got it all over again with awful aches, no energy, feeling sick. So frustrated because I can't do anything and my lovely dp is doing everything - very willingly too!

I'm feeling pretty low with it now and I'm getting worried.

Has anybody else experienced this and what should I do about it?

Many thanks.

fluschmoo Tue 28-Dec-10 11:12:22

Bump - anyone?

violethill Tue 28-Dec-10 11:28:52

This is totally normal for proper, full blown flu

I think the issue is that so many people refer to bad cold/coughs/viruses as flu, that we forget what its really like.

I've only had flu once in my life, and literally could not move from my bed for a fortnight, and felt drained and lethargic for several weeks after.

Plenty of rest, fluids, fresh air when youre up to it and healthy food is the way to go

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Tue 28-Dec-10 11:30:11

you poor thing. is your temp going up again or things like cough or sore throat getting worse? Flu can take a long time to get better but it may be that you have either picked up a new virus or developed a secondary infection.

fluschmoo Tue 28-Dec-10 11:35:49

Thanks so much for replying Violet and Snowy. Feel better knowing that this is not that unusual. Snowy I have been getting hot here and there and had a sore throat last night.

Feeling quite depressed too and the aches are really bad. I don't have to go back to work until 5 January so hoping to be better by then. If I try to do anything physical I am exhausted within minutes.

Just want to get out of the house tbh - maybe when the ibuprofen has kicked in may go for a walk into town.

Thanks again.

TinselinaBumSquash Tue 28-Dec-10 11:36:44

I am pretty sure what i have had is flu, i got it suddenly 2 days before Xmas and it has been changing and getting worse still now, i was presented with a lovely plate of xmas dinner by my sister somethign i usaualy hoover up in minutes but i ate 2 mouthfulls and left it, i can taste nothing except a horrid taste in my mouth, i can smell nothing, i ache everywhere, i have no enerygym no voice and a really raw painfull cough. Im better today a bit but on Boxing day somone could have offered me £1000 to walk down the end of the road and i would have said no.

fluschmoo Tue 28-Dec-10 11:44:08

Tinsel sounds familiar! I'm into my third week now and I've taken a downturn today. The aches are back and appetite still not returned. Can't taste or smell anything and just want to lie around.

Feel for you - are you able to rest? Think it's the only way. I wish you a speedier recovery than me.

Take care.

shanks313 Tue 28-Dec-10 11:45:35

I started getting flu like symptoms but mostly sore throat about 10 days ago. Was given antibiotics last Thursday.
Thought I was starting to feel better then Boxing Day felt so bad I slept all day and was back to flu symptoms.
Called out of hours and they said the antibiotics probably wont work and that I could expect it for another week at least and to rest.

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Tue 28-Dec-10 11:47:20

Resting is absolutely the best thing I reckon - the more you fight flu the more it fights you back.
You all need to try and eat even just little bits where you can.
<passes round chicken soup>

purepurple Tue 28-Dec-10 11:51:24

I started with flu back in november and still feel like sh*t.
I have a cold and cough now but it really has been one thing after another since I first came down with the flu in the middle of November.
I have had days when I thought I was better, only to develop something else. I have never felt so ill in my life.

fluschmoo Tue 28-Dec-10 11:55:40

Oh dear Shanks - hope you feel better soon.

Snowy yes I am resting - feel like a caged animal being in like this - want a cappuccino in town!!!

fluschmoo Tue 28-Dec-10 11:59:09

OMG Pure, that's awful. What have the doctors said? You must be really sick of it - are you feeling low with it?

Hope things improve for you soon.

Sidge Tue 28-Dec-10 12:03:42

If you are on MN and thinking about going for a walk you are unlikely to have flu. I imagine you have the horrible virus that has been doing the rounds, round here it has been lasting for a few weeks and people feel terrible.

They have a sore throat, headache, aches, dry cough, malaise and their glands are up. They don't tend to have any sign of a bacterial infection but feel rotten for weeks.

Poor you, it lingers on and that's the last thing you need especially over Christmas. Hope you feel better soon smile

fluschmoo Tue 28-Dec-10 12:08:12

Sidge, I have had flu (I think!) but am over the worst of it. Spent a week in bed feeling the worst I've ever felt. Had been getting over it within the last few days but now feel crap again. Bit worried about the Post Viral thing though.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 28-Dec-10 12:18:28

Flu recovery takes four to six weeks. Not two. It will creep back up on you if you try and do things too quickly. I'm on week seven and I am just starting to feel normal again. And I can breathe and I never thought I'd think that remarkable shock

violethill Tue 28-Dec-10 12:31:46

flusch - I also remember feeling quite down following my bout of flu - its the only time I've ever felt anything remotely like depression, and it was quite unnerving. I think your body is just hit so hard that flu has a lot of horrible after effects

Sidge Tue 28-Dec-10 13:31:55

You may well have a new viral illness as you are debilitated from flu. It's rotten sad

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 28-Dec-10 14:10:49

fluschmoo - I feel your pain. I've been ill since 10 December - started with the worst sore throat ever, developed into flu-like illness, then snotty and hacking cough, still got the cough and have woken up this morning with another cold. Mine isn't full blown flu as I've not yet taken to my bed but I'm sick of feeling crap.

fluschmoo Tue 28-Dec-10 17:37:20

Whomoved what a nightmare for you. Think I'm going the same way. My sympathies to all who are feeling ill. Saggar hope you feel better soon.

I felt slightly better earlier due to taking painkillers and thought I would get a few things from the shops. I nearly passed out in Asda and was shaking and feeling sick. What a very stupid thing to do. This thing has got me beat and I'm feeling very emotional and sick of it all. Dd has spent the day saying "I'm hungry" and it's driving me mad.

Take care all.

bibbitybobbitysantahat Tue 28-Dec-10 17:41:02

Yep, I started feeling ill on 11th December. Got better after about a week and had a couple of days of feeling relatively good ... then went down with something worse on 21st December and am feeling slightly better today. There are some very tenacious viruses about.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 28-Dec-10 17:56:43

Ah don't feel sorry for me OP. I'm so much better now (but thanks )

But hey think of all the new things our immune systems are learning. We may never actually die the way things are going. We'll just bat off whatever comes our way as our bodies evolve new coping strategies!

pinkstarlight Wed 29-Dec-10 14:28:55

omg this is the same as my daughter who was swabbed for swine flu and the results came back positive. its about 16 days now and shes still suffering shes either in bed or laying on the settee still unable to move because of various aches ,pains and headaches. she still has a raging cold her face is so sore and in the mornings she cant open her eyes till her eyes have been bathed.not to mention the amount of weight shes losing even though now she can eat small meals.my daughter is also having low stages fearing shes not getting better,you have my every smpathy and i hope you start feeling better soon.

purepurple Thu 30-Dec-10 09:25:05

fluschmoo
Hope you are feeling better. i am feeling ok today. I haven't been to the docs as I don't see the point. I tend to not see the doc unless I really have to. I think I have been worse because i have tried to just keep going. I only had 1 day off work, I have had assignments to wrtie for college and I have had christmas to prepare for as well.
I first started to feel ill on 10th November. I am pleased that I have been off work over christmas, I really needed the break.

purepurple Thu 30-Dec-10 09:25:44

Meant to add, hope everyone on this thread is feeling better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: