Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

friends visited with flu, what can I do to prevent spread

(14 Posts)
chillichill Mon 27-Dec-10 23:00:29

I have a 3mo dd. had invited friends for lunch today and couple came even though one is getting over flu/bad cold and her bf still was stinking with it. kept dd out of the room as much as possible and of course kept her away from them when in the same room.
have just gone round and used detol on every surface in.the flat. I have the sofa covers and cushion covers in the wash, am using Milton to sterilize the plates and cutlery.
is there anything else I could/should do?

nannyro Mon 27-Dec-10 23:02:10

wow....I think you have it covered.

A1980 Mon 27-Dec-10 23:03:37

If it makes you feel any better, when I was at uni my then BF had flu BAD. He was sharing my room and my bed so I could look after him and I never got it.

There's nothing more you can do given that you've stilised everything.

chillichill Mon 27-Dec-10 23:05:09

yeah, I know its a bit ott but I hated it when dd had a cold even though it didn't seem to bother her. I don't think I could handle her having the flu. dh is going to rip the piss out of me when.he gets home but if it keeps dd from getting flu I don't care.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Dec-10 23:05:36

it's possible you have already had the strain of cold or flu he's had so won't get it.

this happened to my grandmother. she had Spanish Flu and was very ill with it, an avian strain of flu. one year we all got Hong Kong flu, also avian, and she was all around us.

she never got it. nor did my dad, who never had Spanish Flu, but whom she breastfed for 2 years.

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 27-Dec-10 23:06:47

Message withdrawn

chillichill Mon 27-Dec-10 23:07:57

I do bf and have been taking extra vitamin c so hope that helps. sure I'm being paranoid but you hear horror stories about ill babies, I can't even think about it.

StarlightWonderStarlightBright Mon 27-Dec-10 23:09:43

Can't reference this, but I'm certain I read there was a correlation that showed the more colds and flu type things you got in your first year, the healthier you were as an adult......

ImeldaSnowboots Tue 28-Dec-10 11:21:31

Don't have the stiff drink! I know was probably jokey 'relax' reference but alcohol reduces your immunity for something like 24hrs after a drink (I think, can't remember where read it, but just in case)
We all have flu sad

OrangeCountyStrip Tue 28-Dec-10 11:35:38

Selfish friends - how could they be so selfish! I'm really shocked.

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 28-Dec-10 12:01:18

Message withdrawn

Eurostar Tue 28-Dec-10 12:09:22

Really doubt it was flu, sounds like a bad cold, probably not contagious anymore. Selfish of them though to come somewhere with such a small baby.

Don't forget to open the windows to air the place out, not much good wiping surfaces if it's airborne germs.

Relax, sure she will be fine...yes it's true about alcohol lowering immunity on the one hand - but on the other there's a long history of a hot toddy so in very small amounts it seems to help kill off stuff.

expatinscotland Tue 28-Dec-10 12:36:05

if it were flu, trust me, they'd have been unable to come over at all. a lot of people say they have flu, but when you really do, you're unable to do FA but lay in bed.

chillichill Tue 28-Dec-10 19:49:06

thanks all, so far so good with lo. yeah, selfish friends but childless so they wouldn't have thought of it. I felt like a bad mum for not telling them to turn around and go home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now