Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

anyone got false teeth?

(21 Posts)
sarah293 Mon 27-Dec-10 18:13:10

Message withdrawn

ReadytheRedNoseReindeer Mon 27-Dec-10 18:22:46

it is not as bad as it sounds. most of my upper teeth are on a plate and it isn't noticeable, and I become used to it quickly.

sarah293 Mon 27-Dec-10 18:26:48

Message withdrawn

ItsKurriiiistmas Mon 27-Dec-10 19:02:28

I've got a big gap in my top teeth, couldn't afford bridge etc. so I just left it - I don't really notice it TBH, so I think you will get used to your gap.

I think they might let the gum heal a bit before they fit the plate, because otherwise the size and shape might alter a bit in the healing process and the plate wouldn't be such a good fit. (I'm kind of guessing here but I think that makes sense.)

nurseblade Mon 27-Dec-10 19:06:40

Hi, I'm a dentist. For front teeth they will make you an immediate denture which will then either be relined or remade after 6months when the bone has remodelled following the extractions.

Are you sure you need all 3 out? Root canal treatment would fix the infection and the mercury fillings could be replaced with composite or crowns. Lower dentures are harder to get along with than upper ones because of the tongue.

FlightoftheCrimbleTree Mon 27-Dec-10 19:09:47

Get crowns, Riv. Seriously. They can last for years.

herbietea Mon 27-Dec-10 19:14:16

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Mon 27-Dec-10 19:33:11

Message withdrawn

herbietea Mon 27-Dec-10 19:47:00

Message withdrawn

herbietea Mon 27-Dec-10 19:53:44

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Mon 27-Dec-10 20:03:06

Message withdrawn

herbietea Mon 27-Dec-10 20:07:29

Message withdrawn

barbarianoftheuniverse Mon 27-Dec-10 20:28:45

It's really not that bad. I know a 23 year old who lost front teeth in an accident. You would never know and they are top ones.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 27-Dec-10 20:55:48

DH has totally false teeth. I didn't realise for a year after meeting him. blush

He thinks they are great. He had massive problems with his teeth and this was the best solution for him at the time.

Don't be scared of the dentists, they have all the best drugs!

sarah293 Mon 27-Dec-10 21:26:43

Message withdrawn

LadyintheRadiator Mon 27-Dec-10 22:16:12

Oh Riven I truly truly sympathise. I fell off my bike aged 6 and broke my new front teeth. Plus numerous fillings as a child. Hate it, hate teeth, hate dentists, I always say if I were rich enough I'd have them all replaced so I'd never need to hear a drill again.

I have been to the emergency dentist today after breaking a tooth, on a piece of bloody Dairy Milk I need a few root canals, I know. I haven't been for months because I was pregnant, and hated my dentist. The emergency one I saw today was different, and I am going to hassle his manager when the practice opens again and beg to be transferred, I think the right dentist is half the battle, he was so kind, and told me he has crowns, extractions, fillings etc, he was so normal! Sorry am waffling. Lots of MNers feel the same about the dentist, could start a support thread? I have to face this head on, I am 30, I cannot start losing my teeth

Last year I got a bonus for returning to work (left now tho) and spent it on crowns for my front teeth. They are perfect and it really spurred me on. But the fear comes back so quickly. Hate it.

LadyintheRadiator Mon 27-Dec-10 22:17:27

oh and i need my 3 remaining wisdom teeth out. I want to have a GA but scared of that too. Shit isn't it. But one thing is certain, dental problems never ever ever get better on their own

MustBeeNewName Mon 27-Dec-10 22:57:33

Riven, try to ignore all the heavy stuff so far on this thread, as well meant as it is, and try here instead. www.dentalfearcentral.org/

I speak as one who is in a far worse dental situation than you and is even more afraid of the outlook. sad

sarah293 Tue 28-Dec-10 10:36:41

Message withdrawn

MustBeeNewName Tue 28-Dec-10 22:36:53

Did you hear a word I said, Riven?

Please get yourself over to the dentalfear forum and start posting. It is mainly Anglo-American and you will find a load of people in the same financial and dental situation that you are in.

They have inspired me to at least confront my problems, and I find it easier to talk about them than I did before.

Finding the right dentist is a different matter, but that could also be solved by someone on there.

Please, please, please go there before you are at "one minute to midnight", as I am with my teeth.

(For the record I am not promoting the site, I have no commercial connections with it and I truly wish I didn't have to look at sites like that. )

Save yourself the whole world of misery that I face and look for solutions over there.

I wish you a world of luck, so please, please do it, and do it NOW!

sarah293 Wed 29-Dec-10 20:01:24

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: