Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

why am I getting sicker?

(21 Posts)
sarah293 Sun 26-Dec-10 09:09:00

Message withdrawn

TigerFeet Sun 26-Dec-10 09:11:51

sounds like you've had a virus but have now developed a chest infection to go with it

you might need AB's if you're coughing up copious green ick from your lungs

def worth a trip to the doctor

sarah293 Sun 26-Dec-10 09:17:15

Message withdrawn

SantasNutellaFairy Sun 26-Dec-10 09:23:25

Are you finding it harder to catch your breath properly?

I think you might need to call the out of hours doctor.Antibiotics sound like they may be needed.

TigerFeet Sun 26-Dec-10 09:23:55

I think that if you cover your mouth when you cough you can contain the infection to a degree, certainly when I had the chest infection from hell a few years back no-one else in the house caught it but no-one here is immunocompromised

they are more likely to catch your initial viral infection i reckon <insert i am not a doctor disclaimer here>

is there an out of hours service you can call?

sorry you're feeling so rough

sarah293 Sun 26-Dec-10 09:47:19

Message withdrawn

FanjoForTheMincePies Sun 26-Dec-10 09:59:34

My DD has this, has had a cold all week and has woken up this morning with a much runnier nose and hideous barking cough, is just lying around, am a bit concerned.

sarah293 Sun 26-Dec-10 10:02:16

Message withdrawn

dikkertjedap Sun 26-Dec-10 17:05:34

Oh, Riven, I got actually the same. Am going to try to wait till Wednesday as our out of hours is 1.5 hours drive away and I have fever to boot (I would need to drive myself as dh would stay with dd). It always happens when doctors are not available (mind you, doctors are not available for a rather large proportion of the time in my experience, everything where I live is shutting down and reducing hours). I did see GP last Thursday, but he thought it was a virus, but I have had continuous fever for 1.5 weeks now and cough up lots of green and yellow phlegm and my nose does not stop running plus conjunctivitis on top. My dd was given antibiotics she is fine now, but he thought that I (severe asthmatic) would be okay on my own account.... has been seriously downhill since.

Hope we all get better soon.

herbietea Sun 26-Dec-10 17:13:08

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Sun 26-Dec-10 17:19:00

Message withdrawn

herbietea Sun 26-Dec-10 17:23:10

Message withdrawn

lamettarules Sun 26-Dec-10 18:44:53

So sorry for you guys - agree re antibiotics probably needed .
Have you tried the old head covered in a towel over a bowl of hot water ?
The steam really does ease coughs and loosens phlegm.
All my sympathies and I know you're probably feeling too rough to read .

Beamur Sun 26-Dec-10 18:48:52

I'd been coughing for 2 weeks and like you, was not improving - breathing getting harder, coughing and feeling awful, nasty rattle in my chest. Went to the docs - am now on antibiotics. My Mum had also been coughing a lot, so I suggested she went to the doc too, it is infectious, but she has a virus apparently, its a much drier cough than mine but she's managed to pull a muscle in her side from coughing.
Its horrid - you have my sympathy.

TheHouseofMirth Sun 26-Dec-10 18:55:13

Can I join the club? Flu-like illness last weekend and now left with horrible barking seal cough and feeling totally wiped out. Not to mention the stress on my pelvic floor...10 minutes of sorting and folding washing earlier left me dizzy and shattered. Still, at least MIL is here to look after everyone else while I shiver under my blanket.

Am meant to be hitting the sales tomorrow as my Christmas present from MIL. Hope I feel well enough, my boots are in desperate need of replacement sad

dikkertjedap Mon 27-Dec-10 21:46:30

No way I would manage to go out to sales ... feel far too awful. I am just keeping as quiet as possible waiting for GP to open on Wednesday to get some anti-biotics. Fever getting higher now, I am pretty sure I have a chest infection, bacterial conjunctivitis and double ear infection. Feel like I should be shot.

CarGirl Mon 27-Dec-10 21:49:16

Dh and the girls had/have this.....

I really don't want it.

SleightiesChick Mon 27-Dec-10 21:53:28

This autumn/winter has been so bad for coughs and infections. I'm currently on my 4th round of treatment since September, comprising 3 goes on Amoxicillin (increasingly ineffective) and one round of steroids (much better) smile. I have asthma and each time it seems to have been a recurrence of a chest infection that just won't go away fully. sad

Annoyed as I went to the GP last Monday, when the latest round of coughing, snot and so on had started, thinking I would get in early and be feeling a bit better by Christmas Day. Instead the ABs have done virtually nothing this time, and I've been coughing like a seal and keeping myself and DH awake with it all over Christmas. Will be ringing them again in the morning. Sympathy to all other sufferers.

sarah293 Tue 28-Dec-10 10:44:28

Message withdrawn

Beamur Tue 28-Dec-10 20:55:42

I've just finished a course of AB and I'm not feeling 100% either - still coughing, but not quite as bad. Bah.

FrameyMcFrame Tue 28-Dec-10 22:36:28

Hate to say it but if you have a temp and a nasty cough/aches/shivers it's possibly swine flu.
Hope you all feel better soon, we're all down with D&V bug here for the second time this winter so I'm thoroughly fed up too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now