Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Dentist alert! Crapola - part of my tooth just come away!

(7 Posts)
walkingonthemoon Fri 24-Dec-10 20:54:28

Think it's just the top layer of tooth - not sore, but bloody hell, feels wierd and am worried about treatment.... Will it be a crown or will I have <gasp> root canal treatment?
Happy Christmas...!

singingcat Fri 24-Dec-10 20:56:03

Depends what's underneath. Have you cracked it on something hard? If not then it's likely there's some decay underneath. It's good that it doesn't hurt, that means root canal unlikely. You may get away with just a filling, it depends how much has come off

belgo Fri 24-Dec-10 20:59:33

if it doesn't hurt it's possible that the tooth is completely dead. Was it a heavily decayed tooth? See the dentist as soon as you can get an appointment and I hope it doesn't spoil your Christmas.

lamettarules Sat 25-Dec-10 19:38:10

I've had gold inlays - sort of like a gold cap - to teeth where they've cracked and I've lost some of the tooth .
Dentist says suitable for big fillings ,more hardwearing than another filling ,needs less cutting down of existing tooth than a crown .
Good luck .

Ephiny Sat 25-Dec-10 20:57:01

I had this happen to a wisdom tooth (after years of neglect), dentist said the best thing was just to extract it, especially as it was a wisdom tooth so non-essential anyway and removal would have no cosmetic effect. So out it came. Apparently if it had been one nearer the front she could have done a root canal.

littleducks Sat 25-Dec-10 21:00:43

I had this and then had a root canal

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 26-Dec-10 00:48:13

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: