Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

My monthly cycle has now changed to 40 days plus . Is this my decline into infertlility?

(15 Posts)
tingletangle Thu 23-Dec-10 23:44:30

My cycle has always been 28 days. However out of the blue it has suddenly lengthened to over 40. Has this happened to anyone else? Will it go back or is this a slide into my ovaries going into retirement ?

christmastimemistletoeandwine Thu 23-Dec-10 23:50:11

sorry no advice but mine has also started this as well.will be watching with interest.

worried40 Thu 23-Dec-10 23:54:59

i thought that your cycle shortening was a peri menopause sign.

A1980 Fri 24-Dec-10 00:50:01

How old are you tingletangle?

tingletangle Fri 24-Dec-10 10:13:58

PlentyOfParsnips Fri 24-Dec-10 12:28:38

It's possible, mine started slowing down when I was 36. IME, periods can do all sorts of weird things during the perimenopause. I've had longer than normal cycles, shorter than normal, breaks of several months then a few more regular ones, sometimes heavy, sometimes barely there ... I'm 41 now and having my second period this year, so it can take a very long time to stop altogether. Are you TTC? There's a blood test you can get to tell you if you're perimenopausal.

tingletangle Fri 24-Dec-10 12:54:00

Yes we are TTC so this feels like some kind of divine retribution for following a career rather than having my children early.

christmastimemistletoeandwine Fri 24-Dec-10 16:41:51

we are also ttc but i am 30 so i hope it doesnt mean the begining of fertility going.

PlentyOfParsnips Fri 24-Dec-10 18:19:06

It's only a possibility - you could have years left yet with ok fertility. If you've been trying for a while, it might be worth getting the blood test but periods can change for all sorts of reasons, or seemingly no reason at all.

ReadingTeaLeaves Sat 25-Dec-10 22:37:19

Could also be polycystic ovaries... I started getting really long cycles (of course when TTC - sod's law) and was diagnosed after a bunch of tests with PCOS. Fortunately conceived eventually after trying for about 18 months. Worth chatting to GP.

tingletangle Sat 25-Dec-10 22:39:53

I am not sure I want to face the gp. God this is crap.

colette Sat 25-Dec-10 22:46:24

tingletangle - I don't think it is necessarily a bad sign my cycle was that long when I was in my teens and twenties and then got shorter. It could be a one off

tingletangle Sat 25-Dec-10 23:48:48

This is the second month at 40 days plus. I have just checked my records ( I am not odd but we are TTC!) and the one before was 33 days, before that 30 and then 28 every month as far as I know.

Nukins Fri 11-May-18 00:01:52

tingletangle Thu 23-Dec-10 23:44:30. My cycle has always been 28 days. However out of the blue it has suddenly lengthened to over 40. Has this happened to anyone else? Will it go back or is this a slide into my ...

swingofthings Fri 11-May-18 07:37:41

The stress of ttc can affect your cycles. It's typical, you stress about it because you want to be sure you understand it to increase your changes, but that then leads to your cycles being messed up through stress!

Do go and see your gp to test your fsh. If it's low, then you know you're most likely ok and maybe you can relax about charting things. If it's high, then you might want to consider doing another test which is supposed to be more reliable (can't remember the acronym), so that at least you know where you stand and you can consider the next steps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: