Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Terrible sore throat. Painkillers not much help.

(9 Posts)
YorkshireTeacake Thu 23-Dec-10 09:47:05

I have a terrible - and I mean excruciating - sore throat. I am in agony. It was so bad one morning that I was crying with pain

Paracetemol, co-codamol & ibuprofen were not working, so I went to see the Doctor. The doctor said I just had a virus & prescribed stronger co-codamol (30 mg codeine / 500mg paracetemol), which I have been taking with extra-strong ibuprofen.

This seems to take the edge of the pain, but I am still in pain, especially when swallowing. I am at my wit's end.

Is this familiar to anybody? Does anybody have any advice?

bunnymother Thu 23-Dec-10 09:50:56

Warm salt water gargle?

MrsColumbo Thu 23-Dec-10 09:59:19

Do you still have your tonsils? Is it possible that the doctor missed tonsillitis (which hapened to me - I ended up in hospital 2 days later with quinsy).Might be worth going back there. Antiseptic throat lozenges or a TCP gargle in the meantime, perhaps. Get better soon, Teacake.

MorphFan Thu 23-Dec-10 10:11:30

I've had the same thing - never known a sore throat like it.
I was advised to try gargling with soluble aspirin - which I tried out of desperation. Amazingly it actually did help.
Also - try and breathe through your nose rather than mouth if you can, which seems to help me too.
And eating things like melon - cool and slippy and very soothing.
Get well soon!

elvisgirl Thu 23-Dec-10 10:13:50

I currently have tonsilitis - it is excruciating. It can be viral or bacterial so you may need antibiotics. It can be difficult to diagnose as it really needs a throat swab to properly confirm & the antibiotics are pretty strong (10day course or even injection) so they don't prescribe willy-nilly & mild cases can resolve on their own. In the meantime you could try those anaesthetic throat sprays available over the counter for the discomfort. I also had a fever, lost my voice, didn't eat & couldn't move for 3 days before I got diagnosed so look out for other symptoms. Hope it is sorted for you soon. No crimbo or NYE tipples for me sad

shumway Thu 23-Dec-10 10:13:59

Gargling with soluble aspirin is the best. It tastes a bit rank but it works.

YorkshireTeacake Thu 23-Dec-10 10:23:45

Thank-you for all the speedy advice. Will try what you suggest.

I have to confess that I am not a Mum myself, but I felt like I needed a Mum - any Mum - right now grin You did not dissappoint, so thankyou x

pawsnclaws Thu 23-Dec-10 23:14:31

I had this, this time last week - was crying with pain it was so raw. When the pain spread to one of my ears I gave in and took antibiotics and within 2 days it was getting better.

You could try the strepsils with ibuprofen (strepfen) they are good at numbing the pain a little. Sympathies though, so painful.

dikkertjedap Thu 23-Dec-10 23:30:38

I second gargling with TCP. Also, if you think that it can be tonsillitis maybe seek a second opinion?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: