Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

On antibiotics, how can I avoid thrush?

(9 Posts)
CookieRookie Wed 22-Dec-10 19:27:01

Hi there,

Yet again I have a horrible winter chest infection and am on antibiotics. Whilst I'm hopeful the infection will clear in time for Christmas I'm worried I'll have thrush by the end of the course. Is there anything preventative I can do to avoid getting it?

TIA [hopeful emoticon]

nineyearoldsarerude Wed 22-Dec-10 21:45:39

Eat lots of plain yoghurt? Worth a shot!

MerryMarigold Wed 22-Dec-10 21:47:52

I've been on antibiotics for a month! I had thrush the first week, did one lot of canesten and it got rid if it. I'd do the pessary as soon as you get symptoms and shouldn't cause too much aggro.

CoteDAzur Wed 22-Dec-10 22:02:37

Take a composite Vitamin B supplement (B6, B12 etc) for as long as you take antibiotics. I guarantee that you will not have thrush with the antibiotics.

WisteriaWoman Thu 23-Dec-10 08:32:59

I think I have thrush - I feel really sore inside but have no other symptoms. Now I have a period so can't take canestan pessary so any other suggestions?
Cote - Would the Vitamin B supplement help?

Suggestions welcome

CoteDAzur Thu 23-Dec-10 09:17:26

If you don't itch, can it be thrush? I don't know. Is there a doctor you can call and ask?

I don't think Vit B supplements would do much if you already have an infection.

MerryMarigold Thu 23-Dec-10 13:30:03

I didn't feel sore inside with thrush, most of the symptoms seem to be 'outside' (itchiness, swelling) as it were. Maybe something else. You should get checked out.

dikkertjedap Thu 23-Dec-10 16:00:51

Lots of bio yogurt but you can also buy supplements at pharmacies which contain 'good' bacteria. I would ask boots. For children there is a powder which you dissolve in some water and they have to drink it (vanilla taste I believe), might be more effective than yogurt. For vaginal thrush you can use a tampon with bioyogurt leave for 1 hour and then remove.
Good luck.

CoteDAzur Thu 23-Dec-10 21:05:25

To each her own and all that, but in the year 2010 when we have easy access to medicine and nutrient supplements, it seems a bit daft to recommend people to stick yoghurt up their vagina. Especially since in will not work.

When you are taking antibiotics, probiotic yoghurt will not be effective when eaten (or rubbed against your inner organs), for the simple and obvious reason that the antibiotic will kill those bacteria just as swiftly as it kills the others in your body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now