Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please can someone suggest something to get rid of this mucus/phlegm?

(9 Posts)
HopeForTheJingleBells Mon 20-Dec-10 13:17:11

I am drowning.
I have tried everything available over-the-counter, and nothing has worked.

If I don't blow my nose every 5 mins, I feel like everything is blocking up and I cannot get air.
My throat is full of phlegm, as is my chest.

I do not need something to loosen it up, I have no problem getting it out (sorry TMI I know) but my body just keeps producing more of it.

It is making me tired and sick and I am losing the will to live (sort of).
More importantly, it is ruining my Christmas Spirit!!

Does anyone have any suggestions what could help? Please? I will try anything!

Poodlehorse Mon 20-Dec-10 15:00:03

I have had Post Nasal Drip for simply forever. Doctor no help. I have found cutting out dairy a big help, I still have it a bit but know I will suffer when I do.I have to have fisherman's friends by the bed for when I start gagging and coughing in middle of the night. And I did buy a nasal irrigator.Trouble is I can't often be bothered getting it out and using it as it is not the most pleasant experience to use. But I do if it gets bad bad.The dairy thing is the key for me though Good luck as it is a truly gross condition that affects quality of life a lot more than people realise. I wander around constantly feeling like I am about to get a cold.

HopeForTheJingleBells Mon 20-Dec-10 16:55:27

I hadn't thought of cutting out dairy, but you're right, that's supposed to help.

My nose is sore from the constant blowing, but if I don't do it then everything just fills up (gross, I know) including my throat and I feel like I'm gagging.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.

Seona1973 Mon 20-Dec-10 20:01:25

do you take anti-histamines as they are supposed to help dry you up a bit

omaoma Mon 20-Dec-10 20:07:09

very extreme but go on what i like to think of as my 'vegan with meat' - just veg (avoiding things like tomatoes/peppers which can be inflammatory), fish, lean meat, lots of clear broth, bit of rice but try and steer clear of bread, no dairy, no sugar, no alcohol. try and cook things very lightly, have lots of omegas - think eastern. lots of ramen soups, miso, tom yam (sp?), herbal teas etc.

this pretty much cures most things after a week but it takes willpower of steel and you may wish you had post nasal drip again!

dawnrising Tue 21-Dec-10 10:52:34

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

indigobarbie Tue 21-Dec-10 19:49:07

Can you take some really long deep breathes and then bend over so that your head is lower and try to cough it up and out.

The deep breathing will help to move the phlegm in your lungs and hopefully you can expel it via coughing. Sometimes if the deep /breathing is causing you to cough is painful you can kind of 'huff' breath, meaning just to expel air in a huffing sound a few times this can help too.

no chocolate either
Hope you feel better.

indigobarbie Tue 21-Dec-10 19:49:57

Also try some steam

HopeForTheJingleBells Wed 22-Dec-10 12:39:53

Thanks for advice everyone (am mightily curious as to waht dawnrising wrote that merited being deleted though )

Went back to the doc who said I now have a sinus infection and put me on antibiotics.
Have also cut down on dairy, which seems to be helping a lot.

I would love to cough it all out, indigo (I know, I know, utterly bleurgh) but I never seem to be able to - will give that method a go though!

NO CHOCOLATE??
Are you MAD? It's CHRISTMAS!!!!
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now