Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

I keep chewing gum and my teeth are falling apart

(8 Posts)
Limara Sat 18-Dec-10 21:04:29

Does anyone else have the same problem?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 19-Dec-10 03:52:48

What kind of gum do you chew, and how often? How much do you brush your teeth? Are your teeth particularly vulnerable? Do you visit a dentist frequently?

No, I don't have the same problem, I'm not much of a gum-chewer and am very much a dentist-avoider, but if your teeth are "falling apart" you need treatment.

You know this, yes?

MyCamelHasAHernia Sun 19-Dec-10 03:58:05

all gum is full of sugar (sweepinh generalization, orbit may be telling the truth....but I doubt it)

when you say falling apart, what do you mean exactly?

are you brushing regularly, seeing a dentist?

how much gum (and what gum?) are you chewing?

Limara Sun 19-Dec-10 11:41:58

I gave up smoking 4/5 yrs ago and I've been chewing Nicorette gum sinceshock

My molars keep failing.

My dentist doesn't help though- He keeps filling this particular tooth but the filling is lower that the ridge of the tooth therefore leaving a ridge of my actual tooth IYKWIM?

I can't afford dental work.

I already have an exposed post on another tooth- I just about managed the cost of the post/root filling but couldn't afford the £400 crownsad

Does anyone know a way of me spreading the cost of the necessary dental work I need?

Thank you x

howtoapproach Sun 19-Dec-10 21:48:50

Is this through an NHS dentist? I think they are cheaper for crowns (and other what they call third stage stuff) if you can find one.

I'm pretty sure Nicorette is sugar free so it must be more wear and tear.

Could you try moving onto sugar free gum (no nicotine) and something like natracalms tablets? Then wean off the gum.

Not a doctor or anything. I've just had similar problem with nicorette in the past.

shongololo Sun 19-Dec-10 21:57:42

do you grind your teeth?

DidEinsteinsMumDoSanta Sun 19-Dec-10 22:02:43

Are you getting enough calcium in your diet? Although you dont replace the calcium in your teeth like in your bones the quality of your teeth are affected but the level of calcium in your body thus if you have a deficency of calcium then your teeth quality deteriate.

Limara Mon 20-Dec-10 14:48:37

howtoapproach I have a private dentist

shongololo -No I don't grind

DidEinsteinsMumDoSanta Yes, I have enough calcium in my diet.

There is a lack of NHS dentist in my area but when this blardy snow goes away, I will try and get to see a dentist as we are pretty much snow bound atm.

Thanks guys.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: